What's new
What's new

Smallest diameter HOLLOW linear shaft in 60 inch lengh? Where to kop?

Maxim

Stainless
I would like to use a long hollow (cooled) linear shaft for an application.

Whats the smallest diameter shaft that I can find in a 60" length? 1/2 " would
be pretty ideal.

McMaster has some 3/4" but its regular steel. Mitsuimi has them listed only up to about 4' that I can find.

I don't suppose its possible to join two sections of the linear shaft and still have some semblance of flow through the middle?

You want hollow, most prefer strong.

If you don't need the rigidity and strength of a sold shaft, the regular suspects may be willing to provide hollow, or you may be obligated to source a candidate material such as DOM tubing and create your own shafting.

There is always special order, at least when it comes to longer lengths.

What exactly are you asking about? Hardened linear shaft for running linear ball bearings on? Want to run a metallic or polymer bushing? Something like Thompson 60 Case? "Regular steel" apparently isn't good enough, what do you want? Loads, supports? Is deflection a concern?

What sort of cooling flow are you intending (it won't be much heat flux capacity at .500 dia. x 60 in.) to have through it?

Budget?

What's kop?

:smoking:

I've seen coiled stainless steel tubing in 5,000-foot lengths, about 1/4" dia. Is that long enough? It's for oilwell instrumentation. Of course you'd have to find a place to lay it out after it comes out of the straightener. 1/2" steel hydraulic tubing in lengths of 20'should be readily available from your local steel supplier. Would that work?

I want a regular linear thomson shaft. It will be used in an elevated temperature where I'm afraid the bearings might fail over time. I think if I pump a little coolant through the rod it will keep the whole thing cold enough where service life would be greatly extended.

Stainless would be preferable but I suppose if I had regular iron with antifreeze in it , it wouldn't corrode.

Back