What's new
What's new

Steyer ??? What is this ???

Ox

Diamond
Help me out guys. I don't come up
WTF.gif
too often, but I am clueless on this one. :o

FMC Kingsbury & Davis Low Speed Stayer - eBay (item 370466039155 end time Jan-11-11 12:10:01 PST)

EDIT:

Why do I have facebook and tweet links on my post, when I wouldn't have a clue how to use either one? (no accounts at either place if that is proper terminology.)

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It can't be a stayer if it is low speed. Stayers tend to not move.

Did a google, and found stayers referred to in cycling, and mover-stayers in Hungarian society, but no machine stayers.

J.D.

The patent link doesn't help me out eny.
Does it you? :o

The Box Stay link I can follow, but as a part. Not seeeing it as a machine. ??? You would make those parts ona stamping press. Not following the connection to a specific machine for that purpose. ???

Tony:

Yeah - I figgered that out when my second post didn't have those links.
Still don't git it, but.... :Yawn:

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Some company history here, indicating the machine has something to do with paper box making. FMC bought K&D in 1952 and their packaging machine line was in turn bought in 1983, dating the eBay machine, which has an FMC nameplate.

Crathern Machinery Group: The Company

An explanation of the single and quadruple paper box corner staying machine, with comments on sex, danger and employing children in 1915, is here on pages 1296-1298.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wxwUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1297&lpg=PA1297&dq=quadruple+staying+machine&source=bl&ots=K3Tz2rAdfi&sig=YgpjAnFdknE6WlkcYk_RuMuDLS8&hl=en&ei=HHAFTdTQA4nPnAed8PDlDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=quadruple%20staying%20machine&f=false

Larry

Ox,

I first noticed those facebook links the other day on Frank's ( Rockfish) post asking about older cnc lathes. I thought Frank had done it, until I noticed it on all other first posts.

I think it would be better to have a low-speed stayer, than starting out with a fast one.:rolleyes5: :skep:

JAckal:cheers:

.... dating the eBay machine, which has an FMC nameplate.

Larry

Apparently not far enough back for it to remain in the Antee quew board. :confused:

OK - so it is for carboard box production then.

I have a good chumm in that business if I decide I need more info. ;)

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The facebook and twitter links allow people that do use those to easily share this thread on their facebook page or to tweet it on twitter.

Stayer

Hi Ox,
A stayer was one of the machines used in the paper box industry. Paper boxes are the kind you used to get when you bought jewelry, or something like that. They are not corrugated cardboard boxes.
The stayer would have a stack of blanks on one side. These blanks were flat chip-board (cardboard) cut to size, scored where they would bend, with the 4 corners notched out.
The forms would feed into the center of the machine, where a plywood form would come down and push the blank thru rollers or stiff brushes on four sides, bending up the sides, while at the same time hot paper tape was applied to the corners and pressed in place.
The completed box usually fell out the bottom onto a conveyor.
These boxes would then go to another machine called a wrapper, where fancy paper was wrapped onto the outside surface, using similar block form tooling, rollers, brushes, and little metal fingers to tuck in the edges.
I hope my explanation is clear enough. I spent a few years working in a paper box factory, back in the 1970's. Most of that industry is gone now, like so many others.
Tom from Mass.

Back