What's new
What's new

OT- Running Mineral Oil in a Diesel

ToolPost

Cast Iron
Definitely NOT my idea, so let's clarify that first.

I've been following a discussion about some guy running his diesel on mineral oil from a transformer. What do the more experienced think about this?

For the record, I think it's somewhat ridiculous, as it is my understanding that transformer oil is used for cooling purposes, and as such would have additives in it that aren't very friendly to living organisms when burned.

Thoughts?

It is comon practice to dump your used engine oil into the fuel tank...

Is burned diesel fuel fumes good for living organisms?

Unless that chariot of fire comes screamin down outta the sky in our lifetime - it's a safe bet that we're all gunna die someday enyway. (But just keep that under your hat.) :gossip:

------------

YIPPEE! We're all gunna die!
Ox

Is burned diesel fuel fumes good for living organisms?

True enough. I suppose I was wondering if this was substantially 'more toxic' than burning diesel.

I mean, you can burn kiln-dried fire wood, and then you can burn pressure treated wood...

Just wondering if this was in the "instantly kills the dog if he walks by the tailpipe" category.

Mineral oil can be bought by the gallon to drink in order to keeps ones internal processes 'running smoothly'. Not from experience, but from a Wiki search (looking for uses of mineral oil in old compases).

It's not the mineral oil, it's the addatives.

Need to have an idea as to how old the transformers are. Some of the modern stuff is pretty non-toxic.

Considering the tolerances, etc of new style injectors I would not be pouring anything into the fuel except Additives such as Power Services and Stynadyne.
Also, there is the Cat. Conv. to worry about.

They ain't your gran'paps 1946 diesel.

Just how bad kan the stuff be? I mean really? :rolleyes5:

Somewhere along the way - all X'ers will go to that big sub station in the sky. And some (many?) of the oil filled ones will blow a gourd before they are scrapped out.

So if it's too toxic to burn and "We're all gunna die", then what happens to the dirt if one leaks out in the yard?

Good grief - I still use asbestos for it's intended purpose! I don't grind it up and snort it. :willy_nilly:

Something that is known to doo bodilly damage to someone that werks in the factory that makes or uses the stuff daily - for yrs - is not the same as comming in contact with it on the odd occassion. EVERYTHING in moderation eh? ... Well - most everything ... :D

They ain't your gran'paps 1946 diesel.

It could be. ????

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

From Wikipedia: Mineral oil or liquid petroleum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum based products from crude oil. It is a transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes (typically 15 to 40 carbons)[1] and cyclic paraffins, related to white petrolatum. It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3.[2] Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, and can often be found in drug stores..

It is a petroleum product.

Diesel oil is a petroleum product.

Don't try using mineral oil at temperatures well below zero because it will go solid sooner than diesel.

diesel fuel pumps and injectors are designed for a certain viscosity fuel and any change in viscosity can cause excessive wear and high or low injection pressures.

It's your engine and your wallet.

diesel fuel pumps and injectors are designed for a certain viscosity fuel and any change in viscosity can cause excessive wear and high or low injection pressures.

It's your engine and your wallet.

Then why doo more and more truck lines dump their used engine oil ratt into their fuel tanks?

These days it is s'posed to help LUBE the inj pump! ;)

I have never done it - and not sure I will, but I Shirley wouldn't preach that you shouldn't when the guys that run up and down the rd every day are finding it beneficial.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

they banned pcb's in transformers back in the 70's iirc
certainly none to be found today with it in them, the transformer oil is changed fairly frequently when it won't pass the conductivity test.

as for burning it in a diesel it is probably cleaner than the pump diesel
although i probably would not burn it in a new electronic/cat converter diesel.

in any of the older engines, no problem,, it burns just as clean as diesel, makes a bit more power (higher btu rating) and there would be no issues.

most of the used transformer oils end up as bunker fuel on ocean going ships around these parts, along with most other waste oil streams.

i gotta believe a decent automotive diesel will pollute less than some of the big ships i see under power,, billowing out black smoke.
(on a pollutant per gallon burned basis)

bob g

bob g

Back