Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Rogers is offline Titanium

Default OT: Scrap value of electric motors

Is there a run-of-the-mill price for "as-is" whole electric motors as far as scrap goes? I mean $XX per lb, just as they are, loaded into a bin. Whatever anyone can give me to go on, I'd appreciate. I've been offered 10 cents per lb, and I think that sounds low.

Richard

jmead is offline Hot Rolled

Current price here at least at the nearest scrapper is $.08, but they're crooks anyway.

3t3d is online now Titanium

Locally it was 20 cents a pound, before the copper prices went up a bit.
    I know a scrapper, and he figured out pretty quick, that it was not worth taking apart motors or transformers for the copper and steel, vs. selling them whole.

Another computer scrapper was selling "power supplies" for about that price (!! )
    including the switching supplies.
    He removed the big capacitors, and using them for some sort of aluminum scrap process.

metalbizonline is offline Cast Iron

Hi Richard, the going rate out of the port of Los Angeles for scrap motors packaged in gaylords ready to ship (minimum 10,000 lb lots) is $0.34/lb. That price is about a week old, so maybe give or take a couple pennies. You are almost better off calling a couple of motor manufacturers to see if they will pay you a premium.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add these important words that are supposed to be in every discussion regarding scrap dealers: Crook, thief, POS, stealing, con artist, dirtbag... um, let's see, did I say crook too?

metalbiz,

Yes, before we hear all that "necessary and valuable service to the economy" crap, I'll agree with your list of what to expect with scrappers! I always hear that from the ones that have nowhere NEAR the exposure to such worms that I have had. To that list I'll add:

Preachers
    Auctioneers
    Politicians
    Preacher's son

Do NOT turn your back on them.

Richard

LOL Richard! Watch out for the preacher, but you REALLY gotta watch out for his son.

I just bought a 1000 lb barrel of red brass shavings from a shop here in L.A. The guy told me he was ripped off by the last scrapper who left a $100.00 deposit and said he would return with the rest of the money.

The kicker, that scrap guy said he was a preacher too, trying to raise money for his church!

Oh Mah Gaawwddd !! Is there no Shame!!???

Forrest Addy is offline Diamond

I gave up. I just give the stuff to the local scrap yard. Saves hassle and drinkable chalk. I don't generate much scrap or chips these days anyhow.

tnmgcarbide is online now Titanium

who needs .25 cents a pound for aluminum chips , .05 /# for aluminum foil ........

"let's see , that's 50 # of aluminum foil @ .05 /pound......heeere ya go ...that's $2.50 big
    ones! "

and if those chips have ANY debris , dried coolant , steel chips , plastics.....they won't
    take it .

did i mention the scammers are 8 miles drive one way. a gallon of gas is $2.85 , my
    truck gets about 18mpg. they hand you religious propaganda on "the rapture "
    "the fall of civilization by the homosexuals" "the murderous abortionists" "sinners
    and heavy metal music" and the like to choke on while you wait for your money.

who prints this $hit? those goofy comic books don't get printed for free.
    ....is my truckload of cans paying to fuel their religious motivation?

they should write one called " the fatassed walrus chainsmoker secretaries ,who gossip on
    the phone nonstop while choking down chili dogs from the Golden Pantry and are
    perturbed that they must actually stand up to put my $27.30 through the bulletproof
    glass window and might muss up their putrifeid perm ."

they should write one called " the fatassed walrus chainsmoker secretaries ,who gossip on
    the phone nonstop while choking down chili dogs from the Golden Pantry and are
    perturbed that they must actually stand up to put my $27.30 through the bulletproof
    glass window and might muss up their putrifeid perm ."
    Come one....tell us what you really think, and stop holding back!

Sea Farmer is offline Titanium

Hey tnmg, next time you're on Cape Cod stop by

JoeE. is offline Stainless

Default Motors

Last my scrap contact told me was a bit more than 400 dollars a ton for electric motors. I couldn't hardly believe it. And me with not a scrap motor in sight.
    They just sell them whole, too. I haven't seen them dismantle any in a long time

tnmgcarbide is online now Titanium

in this day/age they probably send them straight to china or india (where child labor picks
    the wire out with pliers and a screwdriver for .10 cents an hour.)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    in this day/age they probably send them straight to china or india (where child labor picks
    the wire out with pliers and a screwdriver for .10 cents an hour.)
    LMAO, you're killing me!

mrennie is offline Cast Iron
    Northern Ontario, close to the polar bears (seriously)

I highly doubt they pay the children that much for a day's work, more likely that would be the weekly rate...

surplusjohn is offline Diamond

over the summer a scrapper I know says he was getting $.35/lb for motors at the yard.

tigmusky is offline Aluminum

jan. i got .30 cent a lb. for motors alt. and starters in minnesota. daye

dirty old man is offline Stainless

tnmg carbide, you're at your finest tonight! And I couldn't have said it better myself! And I mean both posts!
    Dave

sandman2234 is offline Titanium

I don't have any idea about nowadays, but when I handled the scrap for the shop, the local scrap yard got to where they wouldn't take electric motors at all. I asked why, and the buyer told me the guy that they gave them to, for him to break down and return the clean steel and clean copper was getting too old for the number of motors they already had in stock. Later I heard that the dismantler had passed away, so the comment about sending them to China in one piece and having them dismantled for pennies a day is probably not far off.
    David from jax

Phil in Mt is offline Cast Iron

Thumbs down slow boat to china

Thay pay .15 here in montana, ship them to wash state and load them on a boat for china, as soon as thay are out 3 miles thay start to scrap the motors, burn the winding out, toss the crap overboard and when thay get to china thay unload the copper steel and cast iron. When 5 to 10% of the motor is copper thay win big time....Phil in mt

SAG 180 is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rogers View Post
    Come one....tell us what you really think, and stop holding back!

We're not gonna make any progress here if you keep holding back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast