What's new
What's new

OT: Small wire cutters suitable for electric guitar strings

Webley91

Cast Iron
My brother asked me this question as he plays electric guitar.

He's looking for a set of small wire cutters that will handle guitar strings. The cheap ones don't last long and soon get dents in the cutting face.

Does anyone have any experience with this Italian make of tools? All of the cutters I have found online that have a maker's name (such as Facom, Snap-on etc.) all seem to be a lot bigger than what he requires.

Piergiacomi Electronic Wire / Cable Side Snips/Cutters High Quality Italian made | eBay

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any info.

Hi,
Those are NOT suitable for cutting (electric) steel guitar strings. They are ment for cutting small/thin, often isolated, electric leads attached to printed circuitboards and wiring in radios and computers.
Guitar strings are high quality steel, highly corrosion resistant(because of the acid in the sweat of your fingers!) with high tensile strength and hardened as well to last longer.
You'll need a wire-cutter with hardenened jaws like a KNIPEX or equal that will not be damaged by the tough string steel.
Regards,
Max

Get cutters that are stated for PIANO WIRE. Knipex are very high quality,but do make sure they will have hardened cutters. Hopefully,they will state for piano wire. Stewart Macdonald sells nippers for guitar strings,I'm pretty sure. They sell guitar maker's supplies.

I don't recall ever seeing any such nippers for piano wire under 6" or 8" in length.

Some of the multi tools like Leatherman have carbide inserts in their jaws,I notice. They would nip guitar strings. And,you can buy replacement inserts and just screw them on. I can't recall which brand of multi tool I saw these on. Could have been Leatherman,Gerber,Wenger.

Starrett makes an end cutter with replaceable carbide "jaws" that are used to cut music wire or spring wire. The one I have is marked No. 1 5-1/2in If I recall, they are not cheap.

That Knipex unit is a very nice side cutter, and the price is quite reasonable.
The pair linked in the OP would prolly get notchy trimming toenails.

Rex

Last edited:
Hi Rex,
KNIPEX will do the job. I've a normal sized knipex cutter that cuts 1/6" DIN12.9(highestest tensile strength) Hex bolts. Such an action is the limit for this tool though.
As for the Italian pliers, don't underestimate these. As long as they cut, and not have to press/split the metal, they can have reasonable loads. Still the're made for other purposes than cutting piano/guitar strings or spring steel.
Regards,
Max

EDIT: I'll add a foto of the "abused" KNIPEX...

That Knipex unit is a very nice side cutter, and the price is quite reasonable.
The pair linked in the OP would prolly get notchy trimming toenails.

Rex

Hi,
Quoted: I'll add a foto of the "abused" KNIPEX...
View attachment 92348View attachment 92349
Regards,
Max

Pretty serious difference betwixt the pair you show and the pair you linked on Amazon.

The smaller electronic-use cutters aren't made for cutting steel wire....it's all about getting the right tool for the job.
The OP's brother wants something small, but in reality he's gonna be looking at a good quality pair of at least 6" size to do the job and not have to be replaced regularly.

Rex

Hi all,
No, this a normal general pupose wire cutter , cuts 1/8" 12.9 steel easily. It's not an electronics cutter. It's the one I have and it never let me down even when cutting heavier wires or bolts. But I don't know if mine is still available today, picture is just to show the damage on the edges after having cut 1/6" 12.9 steel bolts... You just will have to apply a bit more force since it is shorter. This one cost about 27USD/20 Euro a few years ago, the quality is the same as the other one mentioned.
Webley looks for a new one. The one I mention in post #5 is a sturdy cutter that will do his guitar-string cutting job with ease and is available now at a moderate price. Hundreds of dollars for a cutter to cut guitar strings... these KNIPEX cost a lot less, might be worth trying.
Regards, (have to get new glasses though...)
Max

Pretty serious difference betwixt the pair you show and the pair you linked on Amazon.

The smaller electronic-use cutters aren't made for cutting steel wire....it's all about getting the right tool for the job.
The OP's brother wants something small, but in reality he's gonna be looking at a good quality pair of at least 6" size to do the job and not have to be replaced regularly.

Rex

Solid guitar strings are less than .020, these solutions are way overkill. You can cut them with a nail clipper, but they kill the edge. The smallest and lightest nippers with hardened edges should do just fine. No one wants to carry those heavy Starrett's around in a guitar case.

Hi all,
Didn't know these were available. Seems to be a copy of the KNIPEX , BUT if it will do the job it's OK!!! Just have a try... ( I've tried a "junk-auction" general purpose plier/cutter once, it looked like "crap" but it's still functioning as a allround grip/cutter.., it was MADE in the USSR).

Im a fan of the knipex mini blot cutters...

But seriously, a simple search on amazon for guitar string cutters yielded 10 different pairs....here is a good one for less then 12 bucks

CruzTools String Cutter by Cruz Tools Amazon.com: CruzTools String Cutter: Musical Instruments

Shimano makes one and I think Park does too, for bicycle cables.About 50 bucks for the Shimano, but it's nice.They're very robust and made to cut cleanly through braided brake and shifter cables and spiral housings without unraveling them.

Shimano makes one and I think Park does too, for bicycle cables.About 50 bucks for the Shimano, but it's nice.They're very robust and made to cut cleanly through braided brake and shifter cables and spiral housings without unraveling them.

The ones for bikes are great for that...but the hawk bill design makes it hard to get into tight places....wouldn't recommend them for musical instrument....the first time those jaws dig into a 1000.00 plus guitar's neck, cursing will ensue and heads are gunna rill

Back