What's new
What's new

chassis build

shonky12

Plastic
hi, informations for south australia

just wondering if i make my own caravan chassis which im only thinking about at this stage,

how hard is it to just register and what exactly has to be done to register a homemade chassis the first time ill have to register the chassis only first so i can tow it from one place to the other to work on it, how will i go on that.

what has to be done to get a vin for the first time on a homemade caravan chassis.

is it cheaper to buy a 500 dollar 15ft caravan and rebuild it fron the ground up or change the front and back so the whole thing looks like a viscount with the possibillity of having to have the brakes replaced or is it cheaper to just make a new chassis as well and buy the outside sheeting secondhand seperately.

whats the requirements to register a homemade caravan chassis first time as in lighting and brakes and chains.

can you please give me information in your own words what has to be done and how to get a vin first time on a homemade caravan chassis and am i able to rivert the vin plate on if i get a number from you guys.

am i able to buy a old camper trailer and strip the rego plate and transfer it onto the new chassis or can i only use the brakes and wheel hubs off it.

is secondhand cable mechanical brakes and hubs ok to use provided they work.

is secondhand axle ok to use provided it works.

As the other blokes said; wrong forum.

You are getting some advice here;

http://forum.candm.com.au/showthread.php?p=4177

My view? All too hard. Getting a "one-off" vehicle of any kind registered is usually a nightmare.

My son's mates who own "hot" cars tell me that, of all the states, SA is renowned for the strictness of its vehicle registration system;.

Buy a "fixer-upper" and work on it; it may end-up like Grandad's Axe (five new heads & nine new handles :) ) but it should still be registrable if your work is good.

Caravan chassis

Quite frankly, I agree that is hardly appropriate here but having experienced a 'meltdown' when some yobbos set fire to the gas bottles on a caravan site, I would conclude that you are 'up the creek' Sorry!

Caravans are made as light as possible both in the chassis and in the frame and external cladding and internal fittings. The reason is fuel consumption.

Whether you can buy the pre-painted panels in small enough quantities is debatable. Whether you can make ABS 'ends' I doubt and so on.

Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time- or money on a lost cause

Back