What's new
What's new

ot? stolen from the kitchen / used in shop

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I was just laughing about a post where a solution to the old "paper stuck on plastic" fix was to spread mayonnaise on it. I was thinking, "What doofus would come up with that?", when I realized I my self was a doofus that had raided the kitchen on more than one occasion.
Examples:
Peanut cooking oil for quenching.
Pam cooking spray for anything that has to do with aluminum.
Any scrub brush found has the potential to answer the higher calling of my parts washer.

customer
gotago
i_r_

your not alone.. Wife has chastise me for stealing household items too, turkey baster for sucking up fluid. "she don't want it back" oriental wire strainer with handle for separating small parts from the tumbler, toilet scrub brush for cleaning out the grime on the inside of the machine, countless times stealing measuring cups. those are the ones off the top of my head.... : )

I have several "kitchen" timers in the shop.

They last untill I blow out the clippy thing on them.

A nice small one will clip on the brim of my hat without even bothering me. Set the timer to maybe a minute less than cycle time so that you can start to meander that die rection.

There have been occassions that I was sporting TWO timers at the same time. It may look funny to others, but I will laugh all the way to the bank.

---------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

whenever i pass one of those big "chef mega stores" i can't help but go in and browse the isles making mental notes of all the cool stuff i might just have a need for one day.

i do have a small kitchen at the shop, maybe it's time to deck it out in all kinds of stainless and silicone goodies....won't get in trouble "borrowing" utensils that way.

I also make sure the wife keeps a supply of paper plates and plastic knives for two part epoxy mixing.
Kitty liter is the cheapest floor dry.
customer

Pizza cutter for rolling in the rib binding on a window screen or storm door.

Barbecue tongs for quenching a small part in oil.

Old basket from a Fry-Daddy to dip parts is blackening solution. < ( I got this out of the trash)

I always cut the cord off of vacuum cleaners so that I can put them on my 4-1/2" grinder. Long cord without running an extension cord.

I hate to see a vacuum cleaner out by the road next to someones trash cans.

I don't stop, but do look to see if the cord is still on it.

JAckal:cheers:

Bottom Line.. We machinists are a Creative bunch.

When my wife caught me boiling my new electronic meat thermometer, she asked, "Why are you doing that?" My reply, "I'm calibrating my instruments." She stumbled off in a huff, rolling her eyes.

It made sense to me. ??

Regards,

Stan-

Yep, I have my own toilet bowel cleaning brush too!:eek:

Let's see, my own broom, dust pan. My only problem is the dust pan sprouts legs and winds up in the house! For some reason they like it better than theirs?:nutter:

I could not pass up the stainless steel turkey baster, so I replaced it with a nice calibrated nifty-keen-o see-thru one.

I've purchased silicone baking sheets to use for certain gaskets on the car and boat. (Turns out they cut nicely with a desktop laser cutter, too.)

Pots and pan cycle on the dishwasher works well on... umm... never mind.

Ice cube trays (remember them?) are great for holding tiny stuff in the order of removal... or a group of small end mills, drills, taps, hardware/fittings, etc. for a specific project.

Chip

Its a one way ticket for any kitchen utensil at my house after the wife caught the boy using her ladle to skim the slag on a crucible of aluminum. "Hey, isn't that my....?"
i_r_

This week I used the big roast fork to fish stuff out of my vibratory tumbler - sometimes I use the perforated spatula or tongs. The meat slicing knife is just the thing for cutting polyurethane foam.

I melt lead on the stove, and temper steel in the oven. Small bowls make great temp storage for small parts.

My wife never complains, because I wash the stuff before putting it away. Not long ago she raided my tools for pliers and a mallet to crack crabs. . .

Was replacing races in a magnesium hub at the race car shop in the oven.

Went to a party and they where eating french fries made in said oven much discussion about the taste and trying to identify it (smelled like wheel bearing grease) they determined that the ff had good flavor.

Back