What's new
What's new

American Rotary, Converter questions, which series?

SND

Diamond
I was just looking at American Rotary's website. They show their CNC converters, which seem to be the ones with the lower price which I guess is their "standard model". But they also show a Extreme Duty which is the highest prices, and the Professional Series which is in the middle $.

I know a few members here have converters from this company. Do you guys know the real differences between them. Is it just a $10.00 part that makes the $200 difference or is there any major differences that make it worth the extra $? Would you expect the Professional series to be quieter? I haven't managed to find much info about that on their website other than that it has selectable voltage balance(whatever that does) and that its ok for harder starting loads.

I'm looking at probably a 5hp size, my machine only draws 10amps on 220v 3PH. This machine has a built in VFD with brake, etc, so I guess it shouldn't be too hard on the rotary( apparently can't put single phase into it). If I went up to a 7.5HP size, could I expect it to run quieter than a 5hp?

I had ordered a 5hp a month ago but it hasn't shown up yet, and I need to order something else real quick from somewhere else. American Rotary seems to have decent feedback from a few members. I'll be calling them tomorrow anyway, but thought I'd post this ahead of time in case there's anything else I need to know.

I bought one of their 15HP cnc converters and it works as advertised. About as loud as my old 5hp ronk rotocon. The idler is made by Baldor and the rest is theirs, and it all seems to work well. I misplaced (buried under some junk) the diagram that came with it and called their support line on a Sunday and talked to a real person who walked me through the hook up. If you scrounge around and follow online instructions, you can build one for less money, but I am very happy with mine.

Very happy with my cnc rated 7.5 from American Rotary. Real company with real people in Wisconsin. Great product and support. I built my first one but this AR is sooo much better.
Buy bigger than you think you need. You never know what machine you might add later.

I bought a 5hp cnc series from American a few months
ago. Shipped quickly, packed well and works fine.
Had no issues installing and using it so far.
I would say it's fairly quiet.
I told them what I wanted it for ( Bridgeport,
Leblond Lathe 1 hp and a Kzoo bandsaw 1 1/2 hp)
and bought what they suggested.
Called them with one question, got a real live
person without holding for more than 30 seconds,
question answered...done deal.
Dave P.

SND, I have one of their 50hp CNC converters that's been great. I've spoken to them on the phone a few times and my suggestion to you is to give them a call. Very forthecoming with information.

7.5HP is ordered and will be on the way tomorrow morning. Now thats some nice service. I was told that on the 7.5hp and higher units they balance the voltages to 5%, while the 3 and 5HP are balanced to about 10%. So that really made it an easy decision. With that size of RPC I can eventually change my other lathe to 3phase too since its only a 2hp motor. I wish I had done this a month ago.

Back