What's new
What's new

OT tip: puppy pads for coolant mess

vanguard machine

Stainless
i háve been meaning to mention this for a few years, since my Sonny boy passed away.
in his old age he started having incontinence issues so we were buying the big boxes of large puppy pads from Costco and we had just opened a box before he left us. i went to throw them away but being insanely frugal and having the industrial pack rat disease, thought better of it.

for those like me who run manual machines and generally avoid flood coolant i layer a few of them under and around the part and they suck up an unbelievable amount of the waste coolant with them, along with swarf. they are quite nice for way protectors as well when needed.
$20 buys you a big box size quantity of them at your local or amazon prime.

hope everyone is having a good weekend

Another pretty economical way to go is the white absorbent material sold for soaking up routine oil leakage down in the engine compartments of small power boats. It's a no-name product sometimes sold from a big roll - you scissor off the acreage you want. I'm on a saltwater coast with lots of commercial activity based here, and the stuff is commonly sold in the marine supply stores.

-Marty-

There are a lot of localities where that is a major violation, back in California where I escaped from a half dozen years ago using kitty litter or it's equivalent for shop floor use was banned over 25 years ago. The coolant mess had to be mopped up and the mop water taken to an authorized hazardous waste processor and it wasn't cheap.
Amazing how environmental regulations vary so wildly through out the USA.

There are a lot of localities where that is a major violation, back in California where I escaped from a half dozen years ago using kitty litter or it's equivalent for shop floor use was banned over 25 years ago. The coolant mess had to be mopped up and the mop water taken to an authorized hazardous waste processor and it wasn't cheap.
Amazing how environmental regulations vary so wildly through out the USA.

I'd just tell them "Damn it! The cat has been drinking the coolant again?"

JR

Back