What's new
What's new

OT - Toyota 3P engine Service Manual

jdw340

Plastic
It will be obvious that I am mainly a lurker on this forum. However, I have a early 1970's Toyota forklift (an FG14) which is equipped with a Toyota 3P four cylinder engine of 1345 cc displacement. The engine desperately needs an overhaul since previous owners provided minimal maintenance. While I have a parts manual which covers engine parts, I have been unable to locate a service/repair manual. The local Toyota industrial truck dealer has been able to provide parts, but has been unable to provide a service manual. I am willing to purchase a copy, pay for copying costs and related fees, or whatever to obtain the necessary information.

In passing, I've never seen such an abused engine. I literally had to chisel the sludge from the oil pan. If the cam bearings had not been terminally damaged from the sludge, the engine would have run for another thousand hours or so.

Thanks for any assistance that might be forthcoming.

Jim

There should be a professional engine rebuild shop(not the guy that hand grinds valves in the back room) near you. Most have good access to basic data related to engine builds. If the sludge is as you say it is going to need their services any way. IOW you probably don't need the real manual.

An other thought (poof), what car used the engine(probably a corolla). Look for the Haynes manual on the bay.

Or just buy this; TOYOTA FORKLIFT 3P 4P 5R 4Y ENGINE GUIDE BOOK - eBay (item 310213410441 end time May-13-10 07:58:56 PDT)

3P Engine Service Manual

WHHJR,

Thank you for your response. I have tried both Haynes and Clymer with no luck. Apparently, the 3P engine was used too early (late 1960's and early 1970' s in both cars and trucks besides industrial trucks) for coverage by the after market manuals. I did purchase the Toyota engine guide as you suggested and will depend on the automotive machine shop for any additional information which I need.

In my search, I learned that the 3P and 4P engines were also used in Komatsu industrial trucks, but the local Komatsu dealer couldn't help with a service manual.

Again, thanks.

Jim

If you like I can scour my neighbours data books (they're a long established small country engine shop) which usually contain all the relevant clearances torques etc etc though not a ''how to'',.......... which, lets face it, for a run of the mill 1300 pushrod motor shouldn't be rocket science.

Let me know if you want me to,........ and what you need?

Check out the cylinder head real good. IIRC some of those engines had problems with the aluminum head rotting away from not using antifreeze.

Limi Sami,

Thank you for your generous offer. However, I may have the information I need regarding cam timing , critical fastener torque values, etc. You were correct, " --- a 1300 cc pushrod engine isn't rocket science!"

Alan,

Thank you for the information about the eBay seller. I have looked at the Joseph site, but purchased the major overhaul kit from a Jacksonville, FL seller. No service manual information, though.

Timw,

Thank you for the caution about the cylinder head. However, my 3P engine is early enough that the cylinder head is gray iron and it is in great shape. A quick grind of the seats and the valves should be all that is required. I do plan to replace the core plugs.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Jim

Hi I’m having the same problem but with a 4p motor I’m needing the manual to put everything back how itt goes I pulled the motor and replaced the main and lifter gasket like I was told and now the guy that was doing it left and I got it all torn apart need to put it back together any help will be very much appreciated.

Hi I’m needing all the help I can get I have this same problem but with a 4p motor guy I had doing the work is unavailable and left me with a pulled motor and parts everywhere so I need to put it back together if ya have any kind of paperwork on how to go about it I’ll be extremely thankful

Back