What's new
What's new

OT: The Universe is a hologram.

Yes, but will space research ever be able to answer the question:

Why did my damned dog have to chew on the cable to my satellite dish? :angry:

Steve

Remember that these are just models, reality just is. So my question is: Does it promise any real-world implications? I haven't seen too many paragdime-shifting discoveries in a long while, not like gravity, electromagnetism and general relativity did. These inventions redefined our lives and were keystone discoveries in our history. Has there really been anything on the same order of magnitude since relativity?

Well, don't leave out special relativity, and quantum mechanics (at about the same time, and both involving Einstein).

regards,

Jon P.

Remember that these are just models, reality just is. So my question is: Does it promise any real-world implications? I haven't seen too many paragdime-shifting discoveries in a long while, not like gravity, electromagnetism and general relativity did. These inventions redefined our lives and were keystone discoveries in our history. Has there really been anything on the same order of magnitude since relativity?

Jon has it right. Quantum mechanics and quantum entanglement (which Einstein called "spooky") have huge implications -- including significant understanding of wave/particle duality, the performance of some semiconductor devices, our most advanced encryption systems, better understanding of fundamental "particles" and (some claim to have built them) quantum computers. Research on this continues to this day, with entanglement being shown for some macroscopic structures.

The article that starts this is basically using holography as a metaphor to understand quantum entanglement. There are many other thoughts on this (multiple dimensions, string theory, many worlds, consciousness creating reality, causality and the arrow of time as artifacts of our own thinking, etc.). The holography metaphor is a pretty good one, though.

Metaphor for sure.

Reality is but a persistant illusion!

The "theory" allwos EVERY possible explanation, so adding one more is no big deal (the many worlds model)

But for any ONE person, where does perception of reality reside? In an external hologram?, like a thumb drive or memory stick?

We can do better than that.

The Reddit AskScience subreddit has a great thread on the wave particle duality in the context of photons; very heavy but for armchair science buffs this will be an enlightening and fascinating read.
When a photon is created, does it accelerate to c or does it instantly reach it? : askscience

Duality knows no limits!

Models all! The earth was once flat, and the center of the universe!

Can you grok the choreography of galaxies containing countless stars, some containing systems of planets, with asteroids etc. coming along again and again, all while HURTLING through expanding space that adds to it's self! All at a god awful velocity! Spirals! not eliptic "orbits" returning to the "same space". All this,.... Relative to what?

An even greater befuddlement. All matter and energy created from nothing, in a single moment....BANG! "Science" pleads for "ONE FREE MIRACLE!", then the claim authority of explanation for every event that follows.

Theory and model.....nothing more.

I haven't grokked anything in about forty years.
If you get down to it, the Big Bang stuff isn't from nothing. I think you have to
Have something in some other cosmos for it to occur. Nobody has really
Answered the prime mover argument yet IMHO.

Pete was right about the uses of Quantum mechanics, and GPS wouldn't
Work without Special Relativity, but I don't know of anything practical to come from
general relativity?

Machining related content: I think you need one of the nuclear forces for Jo blocks
To wring.

Regards,

Jon

I haven't grokked anything in about forty years.
If you get down to it, the Big Bang stuff isn't from nothing. I think you have to
Have something in some other cosmos for it to occur. Nobody has really
Answered the prime mover argument yet IMHO.

Regards,

Jon

Perhaps this universe, as we know, is but the ejecta from some black hole

excrement of sorts
\

But with a reference of "one word" .... i.e. Uni Verse... I do not support the view of black hole ejecta

I considered Quantum Mechanics to be older than General Relativity, but I guess that's open to debate. They are still from the same era, and while they have developed hugely since conception there is little doubt that they rewrote our understanding of physics.

Machining related content: I think you need one of the nuclear forces for Jo blocks
To wring.

Jon,

Bravo for bringing in some machining related content. Not a trivial thing in some OT discussions. ;)

You are sort of close about 'nuclear forces' but still mistaken by about five orders of magnitude. By definition 'nuclear' forces are confined to the nucleus of an atom. They are very short range, ~2.5 femtometers max (2.5 X 10^-15 meters). The 'surface' of an Iron atom is about 1.4 X 10^-10 meters away from the nucleus. To put it another way... about 100,000 times too far. The wrung forces between Jo blocks is, after leaving out air pressure and films (bone dry and in a vacuum) is due to Van der Waals forces which are 100% electrostatic. Everything we feel as "solid" is simply electrostatic forces. There may also be some Casimir Effect forces involved but they are due to the 'quantum vacuum' and very strange indeed.

-DU-

David;

Interesting. I was misremembering something about the strong and weak nuclear forces. After doing
Some googling, I am not sure that electrostatics is a good term. A good article I found, referenced temporary
dipoles, and claimed that as, of all things, a quantum mechanical, effect.

Jon

P.s. we now return you to your regular station!

It turns out that quantum physics has an underlying geometry only recently discovered which make particle interaction much simpler:

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/

“The degree of efficiency is mind-boggling,” said Jacob Bourjaily, a theoretical physicist at Harvard University and one of the researchers who developed the new idea. “You can easily do, on paper, computations that were infeasible even with a computer before.”

amplutihedron_span.jpg

It turns out that quantum physics has an underlying geometry only recently discovered which make particle interaction much simpler:

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/

“The degree of efficiency is mind-boggling,” said Jacob Bourjaily, a theoretical physicist at Harvard University and one of the researchers who developed the new idea. “You can easily do, on paper, computations that were infeasible even with a computer before.”
I tried to read that, but I do not think I am smart enough.

I tried to read that, but I do not think I am smart enough.

I don't pretend to understand it all either, but for physicists to guess an underlying shape of the Universe that suddenly makes insanely complex maths easy is a major step forward. All of a sudden 500 pages of algebra can be better replaced with a shape:

amplituhedron-drawing_web-271x300.jpg

It's all about how subatomic particles interact with each other when smacked together in experiments. They went from several billion calculations to a nine page formula with a lot of work, then after being able to get some results with that, physicists spotted a pattern that let them write a simple formula which led the that multidimensional shape after another 30 years of hard work.

Back