What's new
What's new

20 mm collet stop idea?

Markusfu

Stainless
I'm looking for ideas for a collet stop to fit in a 20 mm unthreaded collet. It must allow me to hold very small thin parts such as a 1/8 thick washer that is 1/4 inch in diameter.

thanks

Markus

Get one of these from MSC. I know it looks a little cheesy, but it's really the best collet stop I have ever used. I think its called a "speed stop"...it's been a while since I saw the box. Just look for the red and blue anodized stop and "made in the usa" logo.

It works well on threaded or unthreaded collets. No more trying to fix messed up collet threads just to get the f***king stop in!

The rod is just 3/8 aluminum with a flat on it. You can hold the rod itself in a collet, and turn it down just smaller than the workpiece, and face it too - for washer shaped parts. As you can see, I put a dowel in one end to go in a very small collet. For one job, I attached an aluminum disc to the end of the rod with a #10 flathead screw with an extra large countersink as to leave room for facing cuts on the disc. This stop runs quite true, and I havent had any problems with runout when preparing the stop rod in this fashion.

I just really love this stop! :D And I just know if you try it, you will too!

:cheers:
LM

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 204
I got the same issue with repetitive batch I do and the best solution i found was EDM the diameter needed in a smaller diameter collet, now is very easy to set up the job again because I don't have to be adjusting back stops.

DSC01654.jpg

Back