What's new
What's new

OT - Visiting cities along the Danube

ljgoldberg

Aluminum
Nuremburg, Regensburg, Passau, Vienna, a day trip in each and a few days in Budapest. Any suggestions for technical, mechanical, scientific museums, factory tours, city districts or the like? Starting in early May.

Thanks,
Larry

Passau is an old nice city to visit. It is called the Bavarian Venice, as the have flooding every few years. They are used to it.

There is nothing spectacular as far as I know. Only a huge old Diesel engine from 1907 (two cylinders, each 100 l displacement, 100 hp per cylinder). It is standing in the outside in front of the municipal works (SWP; address: Regensburger Straße 29).

Nick
PS: Did you want to visit me? My post box is empty now. :)

Sounds like you'll be making a cruise on the Danube.
First, you need to do a bit of geo-engineering to bring Nuremberg and the Danube together :-)

Are the stops you mentioned (Regensburg, Passau, Vienna, Budapest) the only ones?

Otherwise I can recommend the Audi Forum in Ingolstadt.

In Budapest, you have to take a trip on the second-oldest Metro/subway in the world (line 1, opened in 1896)). The stations and wagons are small and quaint and pure art-deco.

Also, stroll around the Nyugati railway station for another art-deco moment.

Enjoy your trip,

Benta.

Hi Larry,

Sounds like a great trip coming up.... The Ars Electronica Center in Linz is worth a visit. It's directly across the river from where the Tour boats tie up...

I don't know how long you'll be in Vienna for, but the Natural History Museum is worth a visit. While in Vienna if you've time for a Schnitzel... Welcome - Figlmüller - The home of the schnitzel

Ray

Ars Electronica | News
Naturhistorisches Museum Wien - Naturhistorisches Museum

Benta said:
First, you need to do a bit of geo-engineering to bring Nuremberg and the Danube together :-)

There is a series of locks to go via canal over the mountains.. somewhere between Nurenberg and Regensberg connecting the Danube with the Rhine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine–Main–Danube_Canal

Vienna's Museum of Military History is well worth a look. Marvellous building, a wide variety of exhibits. Allow 2 or 3 hours.

If you consider that The Third Man is a cool movie, many of the filming locations still exist around central Vienna, walking tours are available. The ferris wheel that features in the movie is still in operation at Praterstern, easy to get to by public transport.

Thank you Nick, Benta, Ray, Bob,

I'm always amazed to see the breadth of the audience on PM and pleased at the depth of knowledge and the willingness to help.
We'll be meeting up with our Romanian friends in Budapest, a retired metallurgist. His interests are even wider-ranging than mine, including palinka, breeding reptiles, mammals, birds, and more.

The Ars Electronica Center and metro in Budapest are a sure thing, others as time and tides allow.

Thank you all.

Larry

Back