What's new
What's new

Passwerd Protection - Auction Towers?

Ox

Diamond
So - what's the lowdown in git'n around passwerds on auction towers. I have two Dells. One sport'n 98 and one with XPpro.

While I did git a good deal on these, they are not legally "HOT" units. LOL!

If you would feel better aboot passing along this type'a info in a less public manner you can PM me here on this site or e-mail me at [email protected].

I have had these for 6-8 months now, but I need to have XP for the DSL line comming in, so I guess it's time to upgrade. The Winders98 unit may end up git'n knocked down to '95 so's to communicate with the CNC's better. ??? (Hyper Terminal)

I would really like to save the 'putor store costs for cleanout if I kan.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Somewhere I downloaded an image to a Linux-bootable CD with some command line stuff that can remove a password. I don't remember what it's called Google stuff like "reset password", "bybass password"

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

http://blog.tech-security.com/?p=15

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/153794.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bypass+xp+password

The other thing you have to ask yourself is "do I have the license rights to this operating system?

Just because you have the physical computer does NOT mean that you have the rights to whatever is on the hard drive. Do you have the license sticker on the machine?

Well someone somewhere pd for the software when it was new. No? How on Earth does buying a used 'putor = piracy?

I would like to think that I have full rights to whatever is on anything that I buy.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Since its a dell there should be a sticker on the side of the machine with the serial number for windows. This is the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA). If you have this then this is all you need. You will need to get a copy of the WinXPpro cd from one of many sites from the internet and then you can reinstall it. I recommend wiping the drive and starting anew. Who knows what kind of crud they downloaded.

You really dont need XP to use DSL. It is a prerequisite the phone company gives so they dont have to support anything older than XP. Just plug the Ethernet cable into the back of the machine and go (Assuming the DSL modem/router has ethernet)

OK - update:

I went ahead and fixed this the old fassioned way and went to the storage building and looked to see if'n there was a post-it-note on the monitor. Believe it - there was on each one! (So the Q begs - why passwerd?)

---

I just found that there is the copy of the software thingy on the side before switching back to this tower. But I would have to have the matching CD wouldn't I?

Ah - I needed the upgrade anyway. I have some CAM that I would like to play with for the HMC, and '98 woon't read those bloody little memory cards. For that I have to take my flash card into the house and use the wifeys tower to transfer over to floppy and.... So this will make it easier for me in that respect too.

---

But the XP machine has a copy of Adobe Reader 07, but THAT is passwerd protected. ??? A free download? The same passwerd doesn't werk on that one for some reason. ???

There was hardly anything on this tower. It was used [aparently] only for the packaging dept for packing details and labels only. Not sure why the 07 Reader unless it had something to doo with their labels?

----

Thanks for the help both here and in PM guys!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If the XP machine has "the sticker" with the Microshaft logo and the product key, that's basically what you need.

Now if you need to reinstall XP, what you need for a CD is

The setup files off the computer--which may not be there.....or...

a CD -that you can copy from a friend- that has the same VERSION of XP that you have. There's nothing on "each" CD that locks it to a specific key, unless it's a proprietary Dell (or other brand) "restore" CD or something.

That is, let's say I have a Dell Hell with the sticker but no CD, with XP PRO. What i'd need is a so called "OEM" type CD that has XP PPRO (not home) and most of the time, the key off the sticker should work.

This "ain't always true."

Whenever I get a guy like you to help, I always take a spare "test" hard drive, and using the key off the side, I determine what version CD will accept the key, then burn a copy of that CD

This should be perfectly legal

However, again, just because you bought the physical machine, does not give you rights to whatever's on the hard drive.

Another example, is if this machine had something like MS Office 2000 installed--an extremely expensive program. It just might be licensed on someone elses new machine that yours was the replacement for.

Because all new Microshaft software has to be "activated" and tracked by MS for piracy (that's the "Genuine Advantage BS on the updates page) what this means is,

say someone sells you a machine, and leaves old software on the machine, but keeps the CD's and license for the software.

They install this software and activate it on their new machine.

Your used machine with their old software is no longer legal for you to use, and if you try to update through Microcrap, "the thems" will cripple the software.

If I was younger, I'd be learning Linux, or push the incredibly irritating Steve Jobs to sell Apple OS on the open market

I agree with roadrunner as when the seller loads his XP to a new computer, yours is invalid. The license to operate is not the license to own.

HOWEVER, as long as you stay off the web, Bill Gates is unaware so you can program and do as you wish.

As a point of information, I don't think the "certificate" is worth much as "authorization".

What you CAN confidently use as authorization is the original CD of the software. If you have THAT, (not stolen) then you can thumb your nose at any accusation of pirating.

Since some computers do not have restore CDs these days (a 50cent part, but go figure) then you may be limited to the sticker. But I'd say that a set of the restore backups keyed to the machine would be equally good. Most machines allow making ONE set of restore backups to back the disk copy up.

Generally, the idea is to know that you have the only copy of that serial numbered program, and that the prior owner didn't keep it.

I've bought software where I was pretty sure the prior owner still had it on their machine. But, it's NOT MY PROBLEM, because I HAVE THE CD. THEY are the thief.

JST, I think you are only correct in one instance--when you have a proprietary "restore" type cd, which does contain a sort of "pre ordained" system.

If you have a "generic" Microshaft labled CD, then so far as any ownership, any authorization, any rights, you have nothing.

The thing that makes the software "yours" to operate is the honest posession of just about anything EXCEPT a Microshaft CD, I.E. a receipt (even secondhand) of sale, of the sticker, of a paper license that came with the software.

(You can buy replacement CD's right from Microsoft. Because they have no license or key envolved, MS could even allow you to download the thing, for all it's legal value is)

This is also why MS now "requires" OEM machines to have that little sticker RIGHT ON the machine

If you have the CD for any piece of software, presumably along with any of the "unlock" keys, then you have the license, as far as I know.

Our MIS dept always INSISTED on having the CD, and I KNOW they had competent legal advice about it, because there HAD been a run-in with the "BSA" about some unlicensed software.

AFAIK, the sticker is really ONLY for the OS, anyhow. At least the one on the HP I am typing on now has JUST that on it.

Yes, a restore CD is the real deal. Or with the original software CD for the OS, and NO sticker on the box, you'd STILL have the license.

What they are interested in is one install, one license.

The sticker is but one way to get there.

As far as the generic CDs, I believe you can't get hold of one unless you DO have a license...... but I also believe they say "replacement" or some other such on them that precludes confusing them with an original.

Back