What's new
What's new

Need suggestions to install a chuck on the back of a Clausing 5914

benfica

Plastic
Hey folks,

New to the forum but reading the stuff up here for a couple years now.

So, I have a Enco 110-1340 and selling it and bought a Clausing 5914, with taper attachment, original motor (will install a VFD), Burnerd 4 Jaw 8" Chuck, LOO Collet Chuck w/12 Multisize Collets, collet closer, etc, etc.

I need to have a chuck installed on the rear of spindle bore.
On the Enco I have, the spindle bore is threaded so I asked my machinist to do a threaded sleeve and installed it on the spindle bore. The sleeve has a 3 jaw self centering chuck with 1 3/8" opening.
The Clausing spindle bore is not threaded...
I heard that there are chucks that you can install on the rear of spindle bore. I need a minimum of 1 3/8' opening.
What suggestions do you folks have?
I know I can probable do some delrin collets but I am looking to get within less than a 0.001 runout on the front and back chucks.

I did not get any answer on my thread yet. Is that because it is an unusual setup?
Just imagine that instead of having one 6" 6 jaw chuck I would have 2. Being the second chuck on the spindle bore. Probably not a 6" but a 3" or something along those lines. Enough opening to hold a piece of the diameter of the ID of the spindle bore, like 1x3/8".

just make a spider that slip fits on the spindle with set screws. Four allen heads in the spider so you can dial it in like a four jaw chuck if you are just using it to center a long workpiece.

Imho there's not that much "meat" there to do much with, iow make sure you don't get whanged by an 18lb chunk of metal should your attaching method not work out.

I would think you need something along the order of...internally thread the spindle...which should probably be a LH thread so any workpiece torque tightens it. Then you need something like a tapered register to assure concentricity as the thread tightens.

So then you need a spud that has to be attached to a backplate for a chuck.

Bottom line is you are going to lose spindle bore, iirc it is 1-3/8" to start with, I personally would want a 3/16" wall minimum on the spud which takes 3/8" from the diameter so you are down to 1".

Like anything it can be done with some work, teardown your lathe, give to someone else to make up the parts, reassemble lathe at which point I'd still want to use a test indicator on a 4-jaw chuck to assure your .001" TIR spec at the back of the spindle (needing also to invent convenient flat planar surface for indicator base)

There are probably other good ideas, like just drill and tap the spindle tube itself...although isnt' there a pin for the backgear on the cogged pulley...can't recall 100%.

Good luck, its a challenging project.

just make a spider that slip fits on the spindle with set screws. Four allen heads in the spider so you can dial it in like a four jaw chuck if you are just using it to center a long workpiece.

That's exactly what I had on my Enco 12X36 that I just sold. It was put on there to steady long gun barrels that stuck out the back.

I made a tigth fitting adapter for the backside of my Clausing. Shrunk it on and it is permanent. I use collets in it. You could grind it for a collet, a 3J would get your range. Not so much weight flying around.

Back