What's new
What's new

OT: What do you call the 1/2" thick wood used for making pallets and crates?

Spud

Diamond
Is there a specific name for the wood used in building pallet decks and the sides of a shipping crate? It is 1/2" and somewhat rough.

The large grocery chain here (Kroger) has these large open wood crates with pallet bases; the sides are just strips of lumber, with no framing. The corners have 90 deg metal strips that join the sides to each other.

Hello Spud
I don't know about in WI, but here in MB, I was sawing poplar (aspen) cants & selling them to pallet & crate manufacturing companies. They re-sawed them into material for that purpose.

I don't know about Wisconsin but here in So Cal. "barn wood/pallet wood" seems to be the craze, lumber yards stock it restaurants decorate with it, wives want a wall of it. I wonder how long this fad will last.

It's a nasty, hard to nail wood.

I have been told it's a couple different species, but the most popular
I have heard is called "cucumber".

But more importantly, most everyone I know that messes with used pallets
find them "Flammable" and use them for heat....:D

Over here we call it ;- Packing Case Timber &*Pallet*Timber Ref Pallet timber, dunnage timber, cargo timber FSC registered timber

Mostly it's basically rubbish wood, that if not for pallets and packing crates, would be used as fuel either in the round or chipped.

I don't know about the US, ...but over here more and more stuff is coming on single use pallets and crates, .......it costing more to return and handle etc etc them than buy new, .........so said pallets & crates have been cut down to the bare essentials of an expendable item.

Making crate to send off a machine . Local Menards (the big one on Bluemound in Waukesha) does not have 1/2" thick lumber,.
Going to call these folks tomorrow. They are in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin New Used Pallet Manufacturer, Crates, Pallet USA

Write member Cash a note and explain what you are looking for. They make their own crates and pallets, there. ( they have a small wood shop area just for that specific purpose ) He might be better able to tell you specifics and direct you to someone that can assist directly.

http://palletprofile.com/

"PALLET PROFILE is the only market report and weekly newsletter dedicated to the wooden pallet and low grade hardwood lumber industries"

There are actually "Pallet Re-Builders" out there.
PRS Group Inc - Pallet Repair Recycling Equipment and Supplies

However, the Amish (at least around here) have cornered the market with low wage/low cost operations, putting most pallet builder (and re-builders) out of business, just making new pallets.

Just noticed HomeDepot is advertising a broken down pallet for $26, for the reclaimed wood to be repurposed for aesthetic preferences.
Crates & Pallet Full Pallet Reclaimed Parts Only-94721 - The Home Depot

You'd be surprised what these millenials f***s who think they have style will buy, I work with a couple of guys who make furniture out of recycled wood, 2-3 hours work $50 in material and they can sell a backyard bench for $500 to these worthless f***s.

Q: what is the opposite of wood?????????????

A: Would not.

Qt:[However, the Amish (at least around here) have cornered the market with low wage/low cost operations, putting most pallet builder (and re-builders) out of business, just making new pallets.]

We got oak 7' pallets last year for $40.. running out so likely need to buy more soon. Used for hauling deer blinds..
Last week went to Saskatchewan to take 3 blinds to Cody Robbins.. temp 3* to 14*F..He and his wife,kelsy hunt out of a tent in such weather.

Live 2 Hunt with Cody Robbins | Official Website
We went out with them as spotters looking for A 27O Mulie.....saw about 6 big bucks but not the one Cody was looking for.

I cannot see any value in tracking down such wood.

Unless you need heat treated wood for an export crate.

Otherwise, I’d use OSB.

If worried about weather resistance, mop the OSB with polyurethane, and rest assured that crate will become somebody’s coffee table after the machine is removed.

You'd be surprised what these millenials f***s who think they have style will buy, I work with a couple of guys who make furniture out of recycled wood, 2-3 hours work $50 in material and they can sell a backyard bench for $500 to these worthless f***s.

You have REALLY got to stop holding back and sugar coating things, man. :cool:

Back