What's new
What's new

OT: What do you think it is? Stone bathtub? Baptismal? Historian needed.

i_r_machinist

Titanium
A freind of mine bought this last weekend. He thinks it is a hand carved bathtub. I think it was some kind of church baptismal. It seems to have some kind of engraving on the side of it.
Any ideas?
i_r_
20170715_145234.jpg
20170715_145245.jpg

There is a stone water trough in daily use in Greenfield Village. The horse-drawn omnibuses stop there to water the horses. It is wide enough to let a two-horse team drink simultaneously.

Larry

Could be a horse trough.

Rich people in the Gilded Age loved their fancy fittings.I knew a lady in Rhode Island who rented in a Victorian horse stable. She sent me pictures. The place was lavish with fancy woodwork,moldings and carvings, Beaux Art gas lamps, leaded windows, copper roof. There were even frescos on the ceilings. The place had been lightly renovated for human habitation where the stalls became bedrooms etc.

A carved stone horse trough wouldn't seem a stretch in that setting

Do you guys know what the pope said to Michelangelo when he first saw the finished ceiling? He shouted "No,you fool!!" I said a FRESH COAT.

Quote.." Do you guys know what the pope said to Michelangelo when he first saw the finished ceiling? He shouted "No,you fool!!" I said a FRESH COAT."

Gwilson..I don't get it? Oh wait..a Fresco!

No idea where it came from. A freind had it in his yard for the last 20+ years. He passed away and his widow sold it to another buddy of mine. I took another guy over to see it Sunday. He walks up and starts pointing out letters carved in the upper rim. 20 freakin years and nobody noticed a M,E, a 12" gap where it had been broken, then another E and backwards N.
who knows...
have fun
i_r_

Back