What's new
What's new

AISI/SAE 1005-1010 steel source

dfw5914

Stainless
I have an RFQ for a small part (about 1"x2.5"x .188" thick) made from "AISI 1005/1010" steel.
I am having no joy finding any other than shim stock. Oh, and I also have to provide material certs.:(
Anyone here know of a source for this?

I have an RFQ for a small part (about 1"x2.5"x .188" thick) made from "AISI 1005/1010" steel.
I am having no joy finding any other than shim stock. Oh, and I also have to provide material certs.:(
Anyone here know of a source for this?

Have you tried asking the customer if you can substitute for say 1018? Frysteel (as do others) has the size your looking for in 1018. just a thought

Yes, this is a legacy part and they are not willing to make any changes to the drawing.
It is part of some sort of test equipment.

Thanks, submitted an RFQ to precision last week, no response. Hopefully I'll hear from them after the holidays.
Admiral didn't have it.

The AISI number gives only the chemical composition. You may be able to find A36 bar or plate meeting the requirements.

This may be one of those situations where no one will be able to provide the material unless the customer is willing to pay for a mill run. As far as I know, steel with carbon content that low is only used for forming and drawing things like car fenders. If the customer won't budge, give them a No Quote, but tell them why.

Back