What's new
What's new

Collet Removal

epeppy

Plastic
Can anyone tell me how to remove the collet cap on a Traub A25? It looks like a spanner wrench would be used on the face but there are four holes around the cap that look like they have springs in them. The collets are Hardinge type 21 that are held in with a nose cap.TraubCollet.jpg

Not a problem there are no springs in those holes. Just take a piece of 1/4 or 5/16 mild steel bar nothing hardend and hit it with a 12 oz. hammer counter clockwise a few taps and it should unscrew right off. there is probably a spring behind the collet in the sleeve. Been removing the nose caps from our Traubs for 40 years this way with no problems.

Will do. Was wondering if you have a bar feed system on your Traubs. We have 3 that are all set up with the same collets. We cut .740 OD hard drawn copper tubing that comes in 20' sticks. I would like to change the collet and whatever is on the end of the pusher on the bar feeder to be able to cut .875 OD tubing. The bar feeds that we have are Lipe Model 87. Not sure how to get access to the pusher inside the bar feeder. At least I'm half way there... I got the collet out with your help. Thanks again

Back