What's new
What's new

OT: What does your work day look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

capital7

Cast Iron
I'm interested as to what everyone has to say on his topic, might help us get to know each other a little better too.

Personally, 7:00 I start out with a tea (sick of Tim Horton's coffee) and turn on the computer, check E-mails while Solidworks loads, get as much work done as I can (Designing molds, right now its for Victoria's secret mannequins) before 9:30. 15 minute break, back to work. the computer usually has its first crash of the day around 10:00 :wall: (It was 2 hours early today) Then I start working on simple stuff, to let the PC catch its breath (Today its the Louvers for the 2016 Mustang GT) 12:00 rolls around and its time for lunch (Usually leftovers) 12:30, back to work. More crashes (Really need a better computer) 14:30, break. Back to work. 16:15 and its home time.

* "Back to work" really just means clicking a few times on Solidworks (CAMworks) and waiting for it to do it's thing while I'm on PM :reading:

Up around 5:20am.
get to gym around 5:50 and workout for about 45 minutes
get to shop around 6:50
rush to the espresso machine make a double black and have a few sips
Talk to my production manager and see what issues need attention or what machines need setting up
7:30-8:00 Answer emails from customers that were sent last night or early morning, dip my protein cookie in my coffee and eat ( complete cookie, try it!)
8:00-12:00 Set up or supervise grinder setups of lathe setups. Make sure everything is running good.
During this time I am also answering more emails, phone calls, taking to misc vendors.
12:00-12:45 have my lunch, watch youtube videos ( political, machining, or just clips from late night show)
12:45-5:30ish Same like morning. Set up machines. Work on new projects. Quote any custom work that comes up.
Of coarse some days I am meeting accountants, vendors, going to machine auctions, fixing a broken garage door controller, stuck z-axis limit switch, leaking drawbar actuator, everyday something new.

Up at 3.40 1/2 hour to wake up enough for the asphalt ballet. Drive for an hour, open the shop. Fix stuff, 20 min lunch, fix more stuff until 4.30 Back to the highway, and repeat.
Something of an treadmill existence, I do miss being a field tech, as the drive and broken stuff had more variation.

Head to McDonalds to get my large Coke and sausage muffin w/egg
punch in
eat my food
Everyone knows to not come up to me before i'm done eating or else.
program 4 axis vmc's all day, answer a billion stupid questions
go home, nap.

up at 5
work by 6
enter shitstorm
lunch at 11:15
reenter shitstorm
leave at 4:30
home by 5:30

Depends. I hate routine.

Today, up at 4:15. On the road by 5:00. Drive 2.25 hours to Chicago suburbs (driving rain the whole way). Did some diagnosing. Tracked down some parts. Currently sitting on my butt while waiting for some asshole in purchasing to buy the parts I need. At some point that will happen and I'll go pick them up. Then install the drive, reload parameters, test, shake the customers hand, then 2.25 hours back home.

Tomorrow, probably a whole day of welding...

mon-sat, wake up somewhere around 6, usually at the shop. make a french press and some oatmeal, take my vitamins and get on it.
help comes in at 8, work all day, sometimes welding, sometimes machining, sometimes general fab. help leaves around 5ish, i take a break, eat dinner with my woman in my office/lurk area when she gets off work then she heads home and i get back into the shop for second shift, sometimes that turns into third shift. take a hose shower and pass out somewhere around 2, maybe 3 AM.
rinse and repeat.
i try to go home on sat night.
if anyone reading this is contemplating self employment, think twice ;)

I tried to find a picture on google that really shows pure chaos. no good. We start at 8:00 and could have a job that was a country mile from being reality one day, become a hot job overnight.

example
In four days we went from bid it and let's think about this, too here is the dozer we were discussing we need the brush blade Monday. Get the design hashed out.

Same story with a cat excavator who's counterweight wasn't heavy enough for the extended boom. Problem found, design, build a working product that fixes the issue, out the door in a week.

It can be a bit stressful at times but I love the lack of mundane. I look forward to my sausage burrito and iced coffee from mcdonalds. That is the only thing that seems to be a constant in my work life.

Regards,
Alonzo

I don't work in a CNC shop, but a small mechanical automation outfit. We do some automated ultrasonic welding, have automated machines to inspect small parts and hard limit gauge them, and do inspection by hand on lots of types of parts. Assembly work is also done, and sometimes do fab work for customers.

7:45 First alarm
8:30 Wake
9:00 At Work, put sandwich in fridge and evaluate what's going on. Start compressors and turn on the automated machines if needed. Load them full of parts and clear jams.
10:00 I start doing real work for the day. Inspecting parts usually after they come out of machines. (Machines inspect physically, then they get visually inspected)
1:00-2:00 I eat lunch quick and get back to the job.
3:30 I get stuff ready to leave, bring loads of parts from the warehouse inside so my boss doesn't have to do that stuff after I leave. He can't be building new machines and running the current ones at the same time.
4:00 I leave.

Sometimes I work nights, sometimes only half a day. Once and awhile I help build machines, milling, drilling and tapping lots of A2, mild steel, and aluminum. Sometimes I MIG weld stuff, but not often. The machines always need improvements and tuning, fiber optic photoelectric switches need cleaning, parts need to be weighed and shipped, trucks loaded and unloaded with the forklift, etc.

Up at 5:30,leave at 6:10.!5 min to work,punch in at 7.brake at 9 lunch at 12 out at 3.With these hours I miss all the heavy traffic unless some dummy wrecks on one of the bridges.
If there are no brake downs I make spare parts or work on various projects.Some thing different every day.

I get up at 7 or 8 go to the small cafe by the shop eat breakfast get in around 9. Ask the girls what needs to be done. Do whatever that is till lunch go to lunch at the deli around the corner come back make what needs to be made. If I have everything done I can make new stuff. I go home around 5.

Up at 7
work by 8:30
Delete crap emails
Struggle to listen to the what if engineer
Listen to the over analyzing engineer efforts to document every freaking second of a process without throwing up.
Conference with engineering manager about what he wants when, easiest part of the morning we understand each other.
Lunch an hour of peace and quiet usually interrupted by a machine operator or QA after about 2 bites of lunch. Most days the death stare sends them away.
Walk around the plant checking machinery and personnel got good ones for the most part.
try to figure out a new machining strategy or two, post the results edit the programs run prototypes.
Say no to What if engineer and sidekick Miss over analysis on fixturing concepts, they do not understand machine work at all.
Finally get around to looking at the clock pray it after 5
Off to the house cold beer nap supper and remark to myself that at least they didn't give me a headache today.

Roll out of bed whenever. Could be as early as 8, could be as late as 11. It's usually around 9, 9:30 these days. Haven't woken up to an alarm clock in more than a decade.

Fire up the computer, check emails for the day. Have cold cereal- usually Froot Loops- and read a few webcomics.

If any orders have arrived, print the postage, walk twelve feet to my office, package and label.

Walk 53 feet out to the shop.

Walk back to the house, get dressed and brush teeth, then walk out to the shop.

Feed cats.

Work like a dog 'til lunchtime. Another highly variable time, sometimes as early as 11, sometimes around 6:00 pm. Occasionally around oh-dark-thirty-holy-crap-what-time-is-it-I'm-starving!

Make my trip into town (2 miles) and drop packages off at the Post Office, pick up any that came in.

Eat. Could be anything from cheap gas-station food to hot homemade sandwiches from that little mom-and-pop place that makes their own bread.

Return to shop. Resume working like a dog until I either run out of things to do, run out of energy, or run out of the will to live.

Go back in the house, eat a sensible dinner of Mountain Dew, Pringles and ice cream, check more emails, converse with current and potential customers on multiple forae and social media, read a few more webcomics, draw the next day's installment of my own and sack out anytime between 10 pm and 3 am.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the weekends, for fun, I do the exact same thing, except for myself. :D

Doc.

-Up at 6:30

-Out the door at 7:00

-Work starts at 7:30

-Check my email

-Work through my in box putting out jobs for the shop (imagine the chocolate conveyer scene from I Love Lucy)

-Get inturupted every 15 minutes for inane questions that I've already written the answers for

-Get up a few times to stretch my legs and preemptively answer retarded questions and make sure I haven't made any dumbs

-Hour lunch

-Repeat until 4:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back