What's new
What's new

OT: What is this electrical part called? Not a cord grip, but a ...?

catalytic

Cast Iron
Does anyone know what this part is called?

It has 1/2" nominal NPT threads, and the inside is smooth. You use it (for example) to attach a conduit box to a motor's threaded hole, such that the motor leads can come out through it into the conduit box.

It's not a cord grip, since there's no gripping.

This one is made by Thomas Betts, but has no part number on it. I've been through my supplier catalogs and tried googling various terms with no luck. Stupid question I'm sure, but it's eating my day since I need a bunch of them.
IMG_0280.JPGIMG_0281.JPG

My best guess is non-grounding bushing.

Not to be a jerk, but there are strain-relief and clamping bushings that would probably make the setup safer and more durable. What is the advantage of having the wire go into the box loose, which would allow it to be subject to strain if it got caught on something?

Romex connector, BX connector, conduit connector, etc.
I'm sure that if you start there, your supplier can figure it out.

If it's just connecting a box to a motor, there is no strain on the wires. You would definitely want strain relief or clamping on the wiring coming OUT of that box,though.

For your application an outlet box spacer also is an option as it has nuts on both sides.

For extra strength drill a couple 1/4 holes and bolt the box into place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Catalytic defined it's use when he said it was used to couple the motor wiring box to a second box. Typically, when two electrical boxes are side by side and wire is to pass between them, the chase nipple allows box to box contact. A close nipple could be used, but then there would be the space required for the lock nuts and perhaps some pipe.

Tom

Yes, it would be used to connect two boxes together or to allow wires to go between two closely spaced boxes that are solidly mounted to some common base and both probably inside some larger enclosure. Or from a box to some other device, again either mechanically connecting them together or they are so close together and mounted a fixed distance apart with no chance of relative motion. It allows wires to pass from box to box when no strain relief is needed.

If the distance between the two boxes or devices is more than a few inches or if there is relative movement or if the cord/wires can be subject to external forces, then you should use a clamping device or conduit.

You guys are awesome. Not only did you have the answer within a few minutes, but now I have a few related parts to look in to that may provide a better solution ( or the solution to something else I'm working on). Thanks all!

Back