What's new

oil cans

• Thread starter kenh
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 5,810
K

kenh

Is there on this planet an oil can that does not leak,drool, ooze or otherwise oil the area where it is setting?

I would like to keep the price under $1K.

No, there isn't. But you knew that.

Something you might want to try for, say, an Eagle type, is this:

Empty the oil from the inside and remove as much of the oily film on the outside bottom of the oiler as you can. Take a sardine tin and fill it almost full with West System. Set the oiler in the tin, a bit toward one end so that the tin forms a stable base counterbalancing the oiling spout, and let harden.

I've completely given up on the crap sold as oil cans.

What I do is when I'm out and see a estate sale sign is stop and go into the basement or garage and find 1 or 2 fifty year old eagle oil can. Sometimes I have to pay as much as $1.00 each

Todd

+1 for Goldenrod cans. Made in USA, too.

Dutton-Lainston, the maker of Goldenrod cans, has a 12 oz model 720 which does not look "tippy" at all. This has an 8" angled spout, which would be ideal for dispensing cutting oils. (A flexible metal spout is never 100% leak free. Get a rigid spout model.)

The old-time solution was to have an almost-decorative tray to hold the shop's cans. Old catalogs show sets of seven oil cans arranged in a circle of six with one in the center on a hexagonal tray. The tray was pleasing to the eye. (The cans were not all the same in the set.)

I'd think that in order to be a success, the receiving tray or holder should be both attractive and convenient to the machine. These features subtly encourage you to actually return the can to the holder.

JRR

Is there on this planet an oil can that does not leak,drool, ooze or otherwise oil the area where it is setting?

I would like to keep the price under $1K.

The simple answer to this question is yes. I can get you one in almost ANY price range.....Buy a new one and just DON'T put any oil IN it!!!!!:nono::D

Sorry I just couldn't resist!!

For those of us with unlimited budgets (yeah, right) there's this one I saw recommended on the Forum a while back, from McMaster:

1340kp1s.gif

I sprung for one, and it's pretty swell - cast aluminum, works in any position, not leaky, etc.

#1340K28 $51.50

All oil cans and pump oilers leak to some degree. It's a constant in life.
The solution is to purchase some oil pig (the flat sheets) and place the oilers
on top of that when not in use. One sheet is good for several pump oilers
for about a year. Keeps the mess down.

They make a fuel tank sealer that you slosh around and then pour out the extra for re-use. I got mine from Moss motors where they market it for British sports car tanks. It seals up leaky oil cans quite well also. Ed.

Hmm. British sports cars. Again the solution is "oil pig" and in this case one sheet
is not enough. Purchase several rolls, and zip tie same across bottom of vehicle.

:)

This may look odd in a machine shop but after a bunch of kids and grand kids I had a bunch of these laying around
Baby%20Bottles.jpg

I dropped a couple strong magnets in the bottom to keep them from falling over. Thy work well once you adjust the size of the hole in the nipple to the viscosity of the oil, cheap to.:D

Marci

I am surprised that the Swiss made Reilang dont seem to have made it to the US.

Reilang

I have three of these cans. great product. Solid cast Aluminium body and top with brass parts. All spares available. They were purchased in SOuth Africa before moving to denevr in 99 and I have yet to see one here.

OW

Hmmm... other than the superficial ridges on the can, the McMaster one mentioned above looks/reads exactly like the Reilang. Could it be?

Back