What's new
What's new

OT-What is the going rate for asphalt driveway covering?

powerglider

Stainless
Can anybody give me a ballpark figure on the cost of asphalt covering per square yard given the thickness is 2" thick? This is for what is called Hot Mix.

Prep work is minimal as the area to be covered is already packed pretty good with gravel, might have to go over it a bit with a bobcat and a roller just to make sure, but even straight on would be OK.

The total surface area to cover is about 1500 square feet so about 160-165 square yards.

Anybody have this done lately?

As I understand it you let the first 2" sit a year or more then add a 1" layer above it as a finish coat.

I think concrete is a bit more expensive but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks

The amount would only be about 18.8 or so ton. Asphalt prices change so much depending on oil prices. If you call any major company in the area , they should tell you what they charge for the mix. Then it would be the trucking and labor to install. I can not tell you what it is here even though I watch it being placed to confirm compliance. Contract price is the project managers problem, insuring meeting contract quantity and quality is mine.

Rsal

Be sure and quote concrete, my boss just had his driveway done (March) and it was significantly cheaper going concrete instead of asphalt. (TN)

Getting one done in TN and the quotes were $20.75 for 2 inch and $21.00 for 2 1/2 inch. I got two quotes and decided on 2 1/2 inch for the 192 Sq yards --$4200.00. Suppose to get it done middle of next week--my guess is Thur or Fri. If you have other questions, can answer them in a week.

OK, thanks for the references.

Guy here is quoting $16/square yard but I think concrete isn't too far off that amount and concrete is available closer by and doesn't need all the machinery the asphaly needs.

With the hard ground though I don't know what will hold up better in winter and snow removal with my snow shovel truck, it feels like those bottom sliders can put quite a load on the surface.

Back