What's new
What's new

OT:What is the largest electric motor you have ever messed with....

JS

Stainless
I think I've won this one......

I got volunteered for dealing with these monsters; Mining equipment electric motor 8,000 hp 192rpm the damn thing weighs 138,000 lbs with no coupling on it. Machine takes two of them. Two machines (4 motors ) and it is starting to look like I get to do the shaft alignments. It's going be a character building experience.

Where is the picture? I think we need photo proof. I personally haven't run anything or hooked up anything with larger than a 15hp motor.

Where is the picture? I think we need photo proof. I personally haven't run anything or hooked up anything with larger than a 15hp motor.

I'll see what I can do. The company policy changed a few years back personal cells and cameras not allowed, but there is one motor by the highway...maybe that will satisfy wanting a picture.

Our reactor recirc MG set motors are 9000 HP. 13.8KV. 280 amps.
2 on each unit. No pics allowed. Heard that Air products in Allentown has 2 15,000 HP Motors on their air compressors for gas separation.

Last edited:
8000hp... too big for me.. I did a pump station control system with 8 x 400 kw motors driving Caprari turbines, Danfoss VFD's so that's a total of 4200hp.... just half what you've got coming.

The turbines have a recirculating rod system that stops reverse rotation, so they lock solid if you run them backwards... only one of the 8 was wired up backwards... that was enough. Actually it just tripped the VFD on overcurrent and I was checking rotation at 5Hz not full speed... still made an impressive noise... :)

Ray

Triple check rotation direction before you connect the drive coupling. :D

I have been around 3500 hp electric driven gas compressors, but never messed with them.

The biggest ones my company has in this area are 2500 hp. We don't do much with them, just regular service like changing the filters and bearing oil, alignments, and minor stuff.

No idea what size the motors on the ball mills in the concrete plant I worked at for the industrial construction company out of HS were. Open winding motors, probably very low freq. About 12ft in diam and the windings were probably 3ft wide. Then there were the kiln motors, again no idea how big, but they were turning a rotating kiln that was 100+ft long, 20ft+ diam, 4"thick steel shell with refractory lining and all that concrete clinker rolling inside. Our specialty was kiln sections... cutting the kiln in half, taking a length of burnt out shell 30 or 40ft long out and welding a new section in so they could re-line it. Hell of a sight for an 18yr old to see a big lattice boom Manitowoc crawler crane with that section of kiln shell swinging on the hook, cruising across the plant yard. We also replaced the kiln tires, a center load bearing that fit around the outside of this monstrous kiln shell, steel ring a foot or more thick and a couple of feet wide. Impressive to see that dangling off the Manitowoc, too.

We did some work on 5000-10,000hp material transfer fans with that same company (motors looked like cut down railroad box cars with HUGE shafts and couplings sticking out the sides) and I had a couple of multi-thousand hp split case pumps we reworked at the pump shop... like 20" discharge at 400ft head. Never saw the motors that ran the pumps, though.

Biggest motors 11kV 1MW. Each one of two was coupled to a 6.6kV 1MW generator.
These motor generators converted 50Hz power to 60Hz power.

Biggest generator (motor in reverse), 140MW. From memory, around 130ton.

Each generator is driven by a 747 jet engine that is turbo charged to double the power. The inter-cooler weighs 80ton.

Here is the link to a photo of the site.
Stratford Power Station

60 hp on a G&L boring mills, for years,
aboot 5 ft from my rite ear, maybe that's why,
"what?" is my most used word.
Thems some big motors you folks are talking aboot.
holy smokes.
Gw

Stratford NZ :)( the family bought a 1932 Chevy coupe there a very long time ago,with only 7000 miles on it) . The same sort of power plant has been built here in Queenland at Dalby. It also uses the jet engines running on natural gas as back ups in times of peak loading.
The biggest Electric motor I have owned was 90 HP unit in a atlas copco compressor and the biggest I have worked on were traction motors on EMD locomotives, which included rewinding etc.

This is a 5,000 HP rolling mill motor built by Westinghouse. Currently at Station Square in Pittsburgh, but is to be moved to Carrie Furnaces to be displayed next to the 48" universal plate mill as a comparison between steam rolling mill drives and electric drives. The armature bearings are also on site for it. Weighs 40,000 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20130214_154112.jpg
    IMG_20130214_154112.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3,722
I've posted this pic before, but here goes.

In the foreground is a 5500hp, the second unit is 7000hp. There's a pair of each in this building, staggered down the line.

I don't understand the "no picture" rule. To me that is like closing the barn door after the cows escaped. Most of our technology has long since been stolen by people from foreign countries with cameras on guided tours.

Back