What's new
What's new

OT - What are some things your bosses did/do that made you enjoy your job more?

Econdron

Hot Rolled
I have a small welding and general fabrication shop. I've got 5 employees, and we do some low tolerance manual machining, welding, and general fab. Mostly furniture related stuff. I'm pretty competitive with the base pay the employees get, but I can't compete with larger shops on benefits, like 401K's, health and dental insurance, etc. I'm looking for some ways to make these guys like working here more. I don't really have a problem with employee retention yet, mainly because I've only had these guys working here for less than a year, so I'm not sure what my average turn over rate will be. But I'd like these guys to stick around for a while. Currently I offer them a paid lunch break, as much overtime as they want, and they can set their own hours. They also get 60 hours per year vacation time. I also buy lunch for everyone about twice per month. I try to keep out of their work as much as I can, as long as they're meeting production goals and the work is getting done properly, I don't care how they do it.

But I'm looking for other little ways I can make them enjoy their job more. My experience has always been that if an employee truly enjoys working for a company, they will look for ways to move up in that company instead of looking for higher paying jobs. I understand I can't please everyone, and sometimes there's not much I can do to keep a good employee, but for the most part, I'd just like to keep these guys from even looking for a new job in the first place. So I'm looking for things your employers have done in the past that just made you enjoy coming to work.

The guys here seem to enjoy when I bring beer/mixers in about lunch on an occasional Friday and tell them to shut down. It's nice to sit around and shoot the shit with everyone for a couple hours over drinks and learn more about each other. You'd be amazed at how getting to know people personally helps the way you work together and gives you a different point of view on the person.

I have a similar shop- and I have had employees stay, generally, for between 2 and 5 years.
Like you, I cant compete on salary and bennies with the local refineries, shipyards, or defense shops that they could go to.
I have found that what keeps them is a varied workload, and learning new things.
My guys would go nuts if we made the same widget all day every day.
But my jobs are always different, and that helps.
Also, we do jobs nobody else does- and that keeps em learning.
I find it takes me about two years to get a guy trained to be a real fabricator- thats assuming they are already a really good welder, and know their way around a shop.
And when they get really good, thats when I start losing em, often to starting their own businesses.
Which I cant really complain about- its a good thing.

Any shop will "let" them mig weld all day.

Sounds like you are doing things pretty good. If I needed a Job I would give you a try. Shutting down early on Friday is ok but I would leave the alcohol out of it, I have seen it cause too many problems.

I always enjoyed working in shops where the owner treated the employees with some respect. Not being a control freak (which most small shop owners are) asking for input when bidding a job or when there are problems doing the job. Understandings that you have other thing going on in your life. (Kids sports taking a three day weekend)
Money keeps people happy for about six months. But treating them with respect will keep them happy forever.

If you can apply the fish philosophy You will find employee retention and productivity increase.

fish philosophy - YouTube

Silkworm FiSH! Philosophy - YouTube

I have worked at several low paying jobs that had the fish philosophy figured out. Their employees were happy and stayed pretty loyal to the company. Other places where the pay was shit, and it sucked the life out of you I was not there very long.

You can study successful companies like zappos who pay their employees 2k to quit before their training has ended. They love working for the company.

Just changing the attitude in the shop to something that makes them want to come to work hungover when they could easily call in sick.

Guess what? It costs nothing.

A Christmas bonus never hurt anyone. I'm only speaking theoretically. All the places I worked at thought paying you every Friday was all they needed to do.

Maybe things are different in my bit of the U.K.

Regards Tyrone.

25 years with this company and never a Bonus check. It used to bother me but since they don't dock me when they loose money I guess I can live with it. :D

A Christmas bonus never hurt anyone. I'm only speaking theoretically. All the places I worked at thought paying you every Friday was all they needed to do.

Maybe things are different in my bit of the U.K.

Regards Tyrone.

This and then some. A pat on the back or a question about something make people feel part of something. That will make them more likely to "ride for the brand".

I always enjoyed working in shops where the owner treated the employees with some respect. Not being a control freak (which most small shop owners are) asking for input when bidding a job or when there are problems doing the job. Understandings that you have other thing going on in your life. (Kids sports taking a three day weekend)
Money keeps people happy for about six months. But treating them with respect will keep them happy forever.

One thing I dont do is lose my shit.
Bosses having temper tantrums definitely makes good people quit.
Throwing things, swearing- not good morale builders.
I expect a certain amount of screwups, and use them as an excuse to teach people how much easier it is to make a new part, or fix something, rather than sit around moping.
If its really critical, I may do parts of it myself, or hover for the first few, but I let employees make mistakes without freaking out.
thats how they learn.

If you really got to fire somebody, of course, you do it.
But most decent employees will ruin a part now and again, especially the first time they do it.
Its a cost of doing business.
I order 10% or so extra material.
I keep drill bits and end mills and saw blades in stock- they call em consumables for a reason.
And I dont expect somebody who didnt pay fifteen grand for a tool to feel the same way about it that I do.
Shit breaks- Entropy is the way of the world.

Not much to add to whats been posted.
Quickest way to make me look for a new job is to lie to me. Don't feed me a line of shit and say your going to do one thing then do something totally opposite.

As others have said, treat me as an asset not a warm body, make me think you want me there and do your best to compensate me.
I'm no idiot, I know my value and what the company can stand to pay me. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand you can pay me big bucks if I am not making you big bucks. Give me a place that I feel like I am working as a partner in our success and I will punch your clock till this ole body cant go any more.

Speaking of ole bodies...
You shop owners please remember those who have been loyal to you for many years helping you build a successful company.
When ole man Joe cant hold a welding lead anymore cause years of arthritis have taken its toll on his hands that he used to build your reputation, don't be so quick to chunk him to pasture and hope he can skimp by on his piddly ass social security check.
You put your skin on the line to make a business, he didn't, but he gave you years of his life to build your business....would it really hurt your bottom line much if you had to drive your Duramax one more year to make sure Joe has food on his table and a decent vehicle to go fishing once and a while?

How about a day off for your birthday and maybe anniversary. Of course then the unmarried kids will complain as will the divorced old codgers. A math teacher I work with told me her old school closed down on opening day of deer season
Bill D

Years ago, my boss hired a lovely 24 year old young lady. 5'7" tall, 116 lbs., and natural blonde. She worked in our group for about 2 years, during which time she and I enjoyed sexual relations (off site) many times. That's about the best thing he's ever done to make me enjoy my employment, in my opinion.

Years ago, my boss hired a lovely 24 year old young lady. 5'7" tall, 116 lbs., and natural blonde. She worked in our group for about 2 years, during which time she and I enjoyed sexual relations (off site) many times. That's about the best thing he's ever done to make me enjoy my employment, in my opinion.

He did that FOR you?:skep:

Why did you stop? Maybe you wernt adequate.

Back