What's new
What's new

unknown Herbert No. 3

omega-projekt

Plastic
Hello all
I'm a 42 yr old electrician and it technician who lives in Norway and wants to open his horizon towards the metal working community.
I have a very basic knowledge on lathes and metal working, but very helpful friends who work in a Metal Workshop (helicopter repair).
To open this horizon my intention is to buy a lathe, but with a very low budget, the choices running to nearly zero.
I planned to buy a used "and little bit rusty" Herbert No.3 lathe (pls. see attached pictures).
I try to check what model this No.3 really is, but I can't find exactly the same model when I searched Google (also Google Pics) :confused::bawling:
I need this detailed informations to be well prepared what kind of equipment I will put in my workshop........
Maybe one of you had the same No.3 in your workshop and can answer me a few questions!
Furthermore, I wanted to ask you, if 300USD will be too much for this No.3?
With regards

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 339
  • name.jpg
    name.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 476
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 375
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 879
  • support.jpg
    support.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 464
It's old old - late 20s to 30s ? and looks like it's had a hard life.

I haven't got one, as to tooling etc etc it depends on what you intend to do with a production type turret lathe.

$300 US = <>£180 sterling - which is, IMHO, absolute top scrap price.

I've owned Herbert no. 2 and 4 turret lathes...never seen a no. 3 before. "hard life" depends on how long it's been outside. Cool location. Any possibity of connecting it to power and running it ? Any major problem, like spindle bearings or gears and the machine is scrap...but it might run ok.

Omega,

Since you say you're starting out I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are about types of lathes, not necessarily brands or makers. My apologies at the outset if I insult your expertise.

The turret lathe is intended primarily for production work where a large number of the same part must be made and successive tools are mounted in the turret on the right side of the bed. If you're planning on more general kinds of work where each task you do on the machine might be different you would want to look for a machine called an engine lathe or toolroom lathe.

Hello Masters.
I have a new toy in my work shop. Herbert No. 3
20200103_200455.jpg
20200103_184439.jpg
I have oiled and made a test run.
I have to make a little order with this lathe (If it is possible). After produced order, I will try to refurbish it. I will ask you to share your experience on some questions.

Back