What's new
What's new

OT Wheel Speed / ABS Sensors

redlee

Titanium
Doing a bearing hub replacement on the wifes Toyota, the wheel sensor broke whilst trying to remove it.
Anyone have experience with Non OEM wheel speed sensors, Toyota wants $400.00 ouch.
I can get Beck/Arnley for around $125.00 or you can buy them for $25.00 from some auction site.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doing a bearing hub replacement on the wifes Toyota, the wheel sensor broke whilst trying to remove it.
Anyone have experience with Non OEM wheel speed sensors, Toyota wants $400.00 ouch.
I can get Beck/Arnley for around $125.00 or you can buy them for $25.00 from some auction site.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dunno how similar your Toyota ones are to my Jaguar-Lincoln-T-Bird-other-Ford all-made-in-China-anyway front spindles, but the reluctor part came embedded, Detroit Axle, $99.95 the pair, about 2 1/2 years ago. Kit included a new Hall-effect plug-in sensor with leads & their mountings.

Loose ones off Ebay are $25 to $45, rear a bit more dear than front - I just purchased a pair to have handy. Old ones haven't yet failed.

Those, too, probably all come out of the same factory in China, OEM or otherwise.

Try it. At present, a new spindle would be cheaper than dealer pricing - but only IF it included the full ABS sensor kit as mine did.

Bill

No experience with such things on a Toyota but I had a non OEM hub with integral speed sensor on one front axle on a Buick with the original OEM unit on the other side with no issues. Non OEM units are supposed to be used as repair parts where they must coexist with factory parts so as long as it is a quality brand you should be OK.

See if you can figure out who made it. Its probably got a brand on there someplace. There are only so many makers of this stuff. My Lincoln uses all ATE-produced sensors. You can get the identical sensor in a half dozen different boxes ranging from $20 a pop to OEM Ford for $250 or so. They all work exactly the same, only difference is how thin your wallet gets.

Go to a wrecker and buy a second hand one. Do you really think that when toyota service break your wheel sensor they put in a new one?

Go to a wrecker and buy a second hand one. Do you really think that when toyota service break your wheel sensor they put in a new one?

Hell yes they do!
They also charge you for it and tell you it was defective.
Ever hear the term "stealership"?
David

Back