What's new
What's new

Need Some Help With German eBay

I believe "Ship it to" has a European depot, though it could be in Austria, I can't recall off the top of my head and am in the middle of a job so can't check.

I buy quite a bit from German-bay and often the sellers say "Germany only" but if you politely ask they'll send to your home country. Some won't however, in which case I'd ask if they could send to Ship it to.

I just bought a small item from a seller in Germany. The padded envelope did not even have a customs form on it like we have to do when we ship out of the USA. He charged me $13.03 (10.40 Euros) for German Post on a $13.47 cutter, maybe 2 ounces weight. I figured I got it cheap, since there seems to be no US seller for that cutter. The package got to NY 3 days after I paid, but the USPS took another 11 days to get it to me.

A few years ago, I had a tool dealer in England send me some stuff by a European express company that did not charge much and had it here in the USA in one day. But it went to FedEx, who charged me a huge amount for customs duty and kept the package several weeks while making me send them forms and money. I figure it is best to use the postal service rather than one of those express shippers.

A couple of years ago, I bought a forged tool holder and two cutters from a seller in Germany. It weighed maybe a pound. He wanted 15 Euros for DHL shipping. DHL is a German express shipper. I asked him to send it by German Post and he only charged me 9.70 Euros. It got here quick and there was no duty charged and no customs form on the box.

You can ask the seller if he will mail it (no DHL) to the USA. I think the German eBay final price includes a sales tax that does not apply to sales to the USA. But maybe the sellers pay the tax anyway to avoid extra paperwork to show the item was exported.

Larry

Back