What's new
What's new

mounting a 2j collet chuck to flat plate - help

upthebikes

Cast Iron
let's just suppose that i want to mount a 2j collet chuck to flat plate, such as a right angle plate. i already have the 2j collets that i'll need- 1", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4"

i am envisioning a tube coping/mitering setup as follows: rotary table mounted to horizontal mill table. right angle plate with hole machined to allow largest diameter tube to pass through it. 2j collet chuck mounted to right angle plate, centered around hole on plate, to hold collets. tubing in collets. dial appropriate angles on rotary table, and cut away.

almost every 2j collet chuck i see is either a hardinge, or sjorgen (now ats workholding?), and they mount to a d1-6 lathe spindle.

what are my options here? i'm a real greenhorn at this, and having trouble picturing exactly how the mounting scenario would work.

would it be easier to find somebody to make a 2j collet block (which i've never seen?)

i searched for similar questions, but couldn't find anything.

i appreciate any help, and thanks.

Sjogren chucks are made in all the major spindle mount styles. Flat back, threaded and long taper styles use an adapter plate that fastens to the chuck body. If you get one of those, it would be easy to attach the chuck to your angle plate. Even an A type would not be hard to mount. But the D1 camlock mount is in one piece with the chuck, so that would be a bad choice.

The Hardinge Workholding website has parts diagrams for the Sjogren chucks, so you can research which type would work best for you.
http://hardingetooling.com/usr/docs/SjogrenPtsLst.pdf

Larry

D mount camlock would be just fine to mount to a plate. You could remove all the pins and install a couple bolts to bolt it to the plate.

Back