What's new
What's new

OT- Segway human transport

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reading a book about the invention process of this thing and the wheelchair that inspired it, but about one third way thu I'm now dying of curiosity just how sucessful this thing has been. I've never seen a single person using one, here or anywhere I've traveled and yet it was supposed to be a "change the world" sort of product. Seems to be a lively trade in them on eBay, such as here , but just curious how well the company is doing with them now ?

Can't think of any use for one myself, but seems like one good use would be in large manufacturing facilities as a substitute for the golf carts.

I'm also curious what they use for batteries and how long they last, as I don't see much room for batteries in the photos of the Segways. What say ye, practical technoites ?

I've seen one in person, in use by a guy on the street. From what I've heard they've been sold to rich folks as toys, to companies as warehouse transport, and to government agencies like police and postal as immense wastes of taxpayer money.

The cops at BWI (Baltimore-Washington DC) airport use them. Seems like thats the ideal use for them. Moves faster than pedestrians and elevates the officers head above "head level" of the rest of the airport.

Wish I had one. I tend to put weight on my broken leg and a quick gadget like a segway would be a real convenience. I'm surprised more handicapped don't use them.

They work greatr and I think its just a matter of time till they are everywhere.Right now, there still a little pricey but when that comes down to where anyone can afford it easily, I think most folks will relaize that its too good an invention to go away.

I tried one at one of our annual fairs that I work at as a Deputy Sheriff and it was great. Its takes a bit of getting used to, but after about a 3 minute crash course in operation, its just practice. Eventually, you'll get to the point that you hop on it and operate it without even thinking about it.

It does put you head and shoulders above the crowd and can carry around a 100 pounds of extra stuff which is great if you are shopping or whatever.

Some police forces are using them instead of bikes. Every officer that I've talked to loves them, and a charge will last for 20-30 miles of travel. They also can caome with bigger all terrain wheels, so one in not confined to pavenment, they will go anywhere you can walk.

Cant say as how the company is doing but I watched them at Disney last year and couldnt quit looking as they went by.I sure would like to try one.Dont need one at all but still think it would be fun.

Yes, DIsney has them and uses them all over the park system and in Epcot they have an area that you can learn to use one with instruction and run around the park as a group. It looked like fun but it was and additional cost, and I was with the family so opted not to try it out.

what a great idea! (right!)

it's great for discovery channel specials , kinda'
like "Battlebots" ....but aside from an MIT style
NASA cute dreamland invention .... i'll never know how
it got as far as it did .it's too damn wide to
ride it on the sidewalk, too slow and dangerous for the street , too hurky/jerky to interact with
humans .

cops don't want them , that sure didn't
work out ... they could buy 12 $400 bicycles instead of one. as far as catching crooks in cities goes, bicycles are unbeatable .

i don't see them replacing the cushmans and golf
carts in big factories. they'd have to have a
special maintenance dep't for the things .
any industrial maint'n guy can fix a cushman.
are you gonna' tie him up for hours trying to fix the gyro... when progressive stamping line #16 is down?

that's just my thoughts on the brilliantly designed
technical masterpiece (or: trouser stain)

Problem is that in lots of states (Europe especially, but also in the US, I believe) they can't legally be used in on pedestrian walkways and footpaths because they are powered, but they don't qualify as an invalid scooter. Furthermore, even if you were prepared to fight it out with the cars and trucks on the highway you can't use them there either because they don't have lights and brakes which meet the highway vehicle construction regs.

http://www.segway.com/support/regulatory.html is an interesting read in this regard.

Nick.

In Pasadena, California, and I am sure in other towns, the mailman uses them.
Its the perfect mailman vehicle, just the right size, stands up by itself while you step off to put the mail in the slot.

they drive em right along the sidewalk, so it must not be illegal there.

I have seen cops using em, too, somewhere in California.

Really, pricewise, they are no more expensive than those little Ke pickups that many security guards have used for over 30 years- so they are not going to replace a 200 dollar bicycle, but for industrial uses, they are affordable.

Friend of mine is the shop boss of the ME school at A&T.. they had one to play with for awhile.
He was very impressed.

As for cops, mailmen, meter readers, etc. - the Cushman and similar vehicles were as expensive as the Segway, years ago.

I'd rathter be seen riding a 3 wheeld harley 45 servi-car. the ones the parking meter cops and the ice cream vendors used.
Sam

seems like the price of a new segway is around 4 grand.

The current replacement for a Cushman, a BAJAJ indian made 3 wheel pickup, starts at $6500.
http://www.burbankkawasaki.com/rikshaw.html#haul

Cushman is now absorbed by Textron, and they no longer make 3 wheelers for meter maids- but if they did, they would be well over 20 grand.

If Harley made a Servicar today, you can bet it would cost close to 30 grand.
A used one is often well over 10 grand- a 1958 just sold on ebay for 15k.

So from a bang for the buck standpoint, you can see why Segways are gaining popularity for utility, postal, and police use.

As is noted above, they've had mixed results. One problem is that segway showed up with "another way to avoid walking" at a time when health authorities are desperately trying to get people to walk more, at a time when city planners are desperately trying to get people to use mass transit and/or walk, at a time when public right-of-ways (steets, bike paths, sidewalks) are heavily congested, and so on.

The segway won't be a 'world changer' because the world has no global (as opposed to special) need for it, and large parts of established society are hostile to it.

I've seen them used at some race tracks, even tried to drive one a team mate had. But many tracks are now trying to ban any vehicle without 4 wheels from the pits, mostly for liability reasons I presume.

I still don't understand the appeal, at least outdoors. Seems to me in some cases you'd be better off walking, and in other cases using a bicycle. Especially police. On a bike you can go over curbs, hit 25mph, go through two feet of standing water, etc.

Back