Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    USMCPOP is offline Titanium

B&K Precision has a few samll ones: http://www.bkprecision.com/ProductsList.asp

Their "pocket multimeter" is pretty small.

Thermo1 is offline Senior Member

Slightly OT

There is theorem (by Murphy, I think) that says if you have N useful things in your pocket, briefcase, toolbox, service truck, etc, on any given job, you will need the N+1th thing, which you do not have. As a result, there is no practical limit to the amount of stuff you must carry to be fully equipped.

Here is an example of how this happened to me:
    I was taking down data on existing equipment. I had a pen and notebook to record data, a flashlight to read nameplates in dark places, and a Leatherman tool to remove bolts holding cover plates on. The bolts holding one of the cover plates over the nameplates were too tight to budge with the pliers on the Leatherman, and my adjustable wrench was in my truck, three stories down, and a 500 foot walk to the parking lot. At least I had one in the truck.

Thermo1

jim rozen is offline Diamond

It's a fluke T3 electrical tester. Shown here
    in some weird guy's shirt pocket:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/fluke1.jpg

The leads are pretty bulky as you can see. If
    you trimmed them it would be smaller. For
    scale:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/fluke2.jpg

It uses a seven led bar graph to show ac voltages
    between 24 and 480, and dc voltages between 6 and
    220. Does not do ohms but does continuity, even
    on live circuits - a plus. Auto on and auto
    off.

Fluke's description:

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/T3...s&Category=ELT

Jim

Milacron is online now Diamond

OK, thanks for clarifying that Jim. It is the one I guessed it was and it looks not that much smaller than the 70 series Fluke I use now...maybe narrower and maybe lighter weight, but not even close to having any "front pants pocket" possiblities like the Amprobe that Chris999 mentioned.

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

The "real" meters will be better for stuff like forklift batteries.... lots of "Joules" in those. Don't use a cheapie unless you NEVER try to measure volts with it set to ohms.....

A "real" meter is protected and won't be harmed.... a cheapie may crater, with you holding it (I see John Michael had that actually happen...... see ya wouldn't want ta be yah on that....!)

I agree on light meters and wires.... twisting the wrong way, etc, dropping into the HV part of the service box..... UGH.

That fluke gizzie is like the old electrician's "meter" I have.... shows basic voltage, whether AC or DC, and polarity, but no numbers. At least that one shows continuity, I guess, mine has no internal power.

REading next post, I recall mine is in fact a Square D "wiggie" also. Handy, but no significant calibrations for detailed "readings".

Another note.... that B&K pocket meter is the exact type I would NOT like to use for any power type voltages... Short leads, TWO leads, very light weight, and if it does not come out of the case (don't remember, I did use one at one time, I think it might) then the case flops closed on it right when you try to read it.

My Fluke T2 is a bit bigger than Jim's T3. Besides bigger, with longer test leads, mine goes up to 600 volts ac. The T3 is big enough that it comes with a belt holster. Not exactly what D Thomas wanted.

I also have a genuine Square D "Wiggie", with a solenoid voltage indicator. The solenoid vibrates a good deal harder on 480 volts than 120, so you can tell the difference by how the unit vibrates, without looking at the voltage indicator. Posted for historical reference only. The Fluke is a lot more useful.

Thermo1

DT, I think a BatMan style utility belt is in order...for the world's smallest VOM, micrometer, flashlight, and whatever a leading connisseur of machinery needs at his immediate behest while still maintaining incognito status and full style points

Matt,
    The closest to the Batman Utility Belt I have been able to find is a Bucket Boss Contractor's Briefcase. One side has the usual compartments for paper, pens and pencils, etc. The other side has pouches for tools and instruments. It has a shoulder strap for ease in carrying.

I use it for troubleshooting, and the field inspection work I do.

Thermo1

carcrazy1 is offline Senior Member

I just sold one a while back on ebay that wasnt much bigger than a pencil it was auto ranging and had a ground lead that plugged in the top I think it was made by DK they make alot of computer , avionics and fiber optic repair tools . it was one I got in a bunch of military surplus tools I bought, The readout was tiny thats why I didnt keep it ..I like the big numbers you can see from across the room

DT, I think a BatMan style utility belt is in order...
    Hmmm....not a bad idea for where to store the DMM proble wire(s) ! Now, ask Sandman about his "special" belt [img]smile.gif[/img]

A "real" meter is protected and won't be harmed.... a cheapie may crater, with you holding it (I see John Michael had that actually happen...... see ya wouldn't want ta be yah on that....!)
    Looks like one Amprobe mighty mite on the way to Dogpatch, SC pretty soon !

eBay does it again

Typical web price on that one seems to be about $65 plus shipping, so 28 bucks and free shipping sounds like a winner to me !

J, is this "real" enough for ya ? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Chris999 is online now Hot Rolled

Sorry DT,
    I hadn't checked this post until this evening. I'll measure it up when I get home tonight. You should be happy with the ebay purchase though.

Chris, seeing as I'm irrevocably committed to the little bugger, no need to measure it now (unless someone else reading this is curious)...I'll just let it be a surprise ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And if she's too big she'll stand at the ready in my glove box !

Chris999 is online now Hot Rolled

Here it anyway:

Body is 0.95" thick by 1.65" wide. Overall length is 5.7" long and the flange is about 1.32" on the narrow side and 2.05" across it's maximum. Mine is the earlier PMM-1 model but they look identical so I doubt the dimensions have changed.
    Let me know how it works out.

Chris

John_tx is offline Member

I have a Sperry DM-2A. The size of the black case is 3" wide, 4-3/4" high, 5/8" thick.

I do not trust it like I do my Fluke, so I always do the standard test, known live, then the dead check, then a known live again. That routine has saved me once when a Fluke meter failed and showed no voltage on a live circuit.

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

Yep, DT, that one has the right safety labels..... And it looks halfway convenient also... like someone might have been thinking about actually using it when they made it.

Some of the other ones are pretty scary.

Once you actually hold one of those little B&K meters in your hand, and think about poking it into the service box looking for 220V...... it raises hairs on my neck.....

David Utidjian is offline Titanium

I have several small DMMs.

1. One of the "pen type" probes with a Bluepoint label on it. Works well with the "Data Hold" button for tight places. I leave that one at home (so no pics). Had it for 20 years and it has never let me down except when the batteries run low.

2. Smallest DMM I have is this one:

and only costs $8.95. (the quadrille pad it is on has 1/4" squares).

3. My most recent favorite is this one:

Made by Meterman... manual here.

All cased up.

Comparison of the two:

As you can see the DVM810 is smaller in plan than the PM55 BUT where to put those leads with the pointy ends? The DVM810 is also thicker.

The PM55 has some nice features.
    * Completely auto (or manual mode).
    * Auto off
    * Live circuit sensing. Just wave the meter near a suspect panel or circuit and it beeps (very handy).
    * The leads tuck away nicely in the zipper case and they can't be detached so you never lose them.
    * LARGE display so much easier to read.

I have never really had a problem with small meters when holding one probe to ground with the meter in my left hand and poking around with the other probe with my right hand.

The Meterman is very rugged and bounces well. That little zippered pouch really does fit well in a shirt pocket with all the leads.

The Amprobe looks pretty cool... but you have to keep all the leads and probes together with it and I bet it won't take a fall on too well.

-DU-...etc...

Nicolas is offline Cast Iron

I see you've got one now but here is my current (no pun intended) favourite pocket meter

It has a nice little wallet with a holder for the leads, is fused and has a hold button and a AC-DC/continuity beep On/Off button.
    I like the utility belt idea as I have more "pocket" gadgets than pockets, I rather think my family & friends might laugh at me though
    Regards,
    Nick.

Got the Amprobe PMM-2 in today. Looks nice but is about twice as large as I imagined...rather than "pen" type, more like "Milky Way bar" sized...no way this thing will even think about fitting in front pants pocket. Oh well, into the glove box....maybe if I collect enough mulitmeters at least I'll have one in every vehicle (3 presently) and every corner of the shop.

Just a followup that my Amprobe *died* today ! Not the batteries, not a fuse...screen just went blank and won't come back. All I've ever used it for is checking the DC voltage of forklift batteries, so it's never done any probing where it might get shorted. Never dropped it either. So, leading a very pampered life it lasted 5 weeks ..damn... :mad:

Excitable Boy is offline Hot Rolled

I've been carrying the Radio Shack one for years. I hate to love anything from that place, but their little DMM really does work pretty well although I'm not usually working on high voltages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast