What's new
What's new

OT- Will Microsoft Office 97 (Professional Ed.) install on Windows 7 ?

Perhaps one issue to consider might be the number of security flaws built into an old version of Office, and whether or not Windows update will patch it into current status in the new OS.

Why not take a look at OpenOffice? It's free, and its files can be saved as files compatible with MSword, MSExcel and Powerpoint.

Are you using win7 64bit? I installed it on my win 7 ultimate 64bit system and had lots of issues, maybe a 64bit compatibility problem tho'

Another nail in the coffin for Windows 7, as far as I'm concerned...
I thought the same thing actually, but wanted to use a 64bit setup for the increased ram. I have one system with Win7 the rest are XP, nowadays whenever I have to use an XP system I'm thinking how much I prefer win7.

Another nail in the coffin for Windows 7, as far as I'm concerned...

Part of the reason operating systems get so bloated, inefficient, and unstable is trying to build in legacy support for antiquated software.

Yes, Office 97 may do everything you need it to do and more, but sooner or later it's time to throw out the old code and move on.

Not for me...personally I don't even use it except for the free Word reader.

Isn't there also a limited Microsoft Office that is just Word and Excel that is free, but has ads ?

MS has a number of offline viewers that you can use for "reading." They do not allow any editing, however. IE will also allow you to read Word and Excel. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/office-online-file-converters-and-viewers-HA001044981.aspx]Office Online File Converters and Viewers - Downloads - Microsoft Office

I had copy of Office 97 Pro lying around.

Until I downloaded the latest version of Open Office, I loaded Excel 97 on a new (bought January 2010) Toshiba notebook that's running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium..... Didn't experience any noticeable problems with the old Excel.

Didn't load/try the other Office 97 Pro software.

alg4884

Back