What's new
What's new

OT - polishing raw flag stones

viper

Titanium
OK, the other half would like some custom tables and I agreed to look into using rough flag stones for the tops and polishing the tops. I have a ton of experience with polishing (show car painting, aluminum, stainless, etc) but I have never buffed out stone from a raw state. I am sure the first step is establishing a flat surface, then working it from there. I am sure most companies would have large diamond wheels for this but we will probably "wing it" on these.

I might have a local company that can deck the surface for me but doubt they can bring out a full polish. Has anyone done this? Looking for the products to do it? diamond compounds, wheels etc???

Pay a company who does granite counter tops....I would assume if flag stone can be fine poilshed at all they can do it.

you get a progerssive grit set of diamond impregnated rubber bristle sanding disks on ebay. you use them in a grinder with a flood of water from a hose. don't electrocute yourself.

you get a progerssive grit set of diamond impregnated rubber bristle sanding disks on ebay. you use them in a grinder with a flood of water from a hose. don't electrocute yourself.

Sounds just the job for ''the other half'' who want's em, keep her quiet for hours :D

Yes, indeed, and it is a scientific fact that women are far less susceptible to electrocution than men.

i had a slate floor that the seams were uneven on due to variations in the thickness of the slate, I used a belt sander and angle grinder to even out the edges it was very messy but it worked well, a coat of sealer and wax made it nice and shiney. Some stone is not going to get very polished looking with out wax or some coating applied.

I've leveled slate counters like John mentions. It is an extremely messy event, but goes pretty fast. If you have the option, pay someone with the equipment to do it for you.

Have also been to the quarries in Pen Argyl for slate and watched them finish it a number of ways. Flagstones & roof rocks are just split out of a long sawn "billet" by a guy stepping of with a chisel by eye. Sheets of slate are planed off on old planers, the cutter looks sort of plow shaped, and may plane an inch to a couple of inches wide in a stroke. The pool table slate is finiished in a diamond honing machine with huge wheels. Black board, stall dividers, etc and set on large CI rotary tables/hones with a sand hopper in the middle and a hose trickling down. It's been a while, but lets say in the range of 12' dia or larger. The operator keeps an eye on the work, blocked to keep it from moving as the table rotates under it. Periodically he adds or moves weights around on the surface to keep the work progressing toward flat. There will be a number of pieces arranged around th perimeter of the wheel being worked at the same time

This may give you a few ideas on how to build machines to accomplish your task :)
There are stone working supply companies on the 'net where you can get diamond wet & dry paper, PSA disks, and sanding belts if you really need to accomplish the experience yourself. Keep it wet and wear breathing protection.

smt

OK, the other half would like some custom tables and I agreed to look into using rough flag stones for the tops and polishing the tops. I have a ton of experience with polishing (show car painting, aluminum, stainless, etc) but I have never buffed out stone from a raw state. I am sure the first step is establishing a flat surface, then working it from there. I am sure most companies would have large diamond wheels for this but we will probably "wing it" on these.

I might have a local company that can deck the surface for me but doubt they can bring out a full polish. Has anyone done this? Looking for the products to do it? diamond compounds, wheels etc???

They mine flagstone about 70 miles from my home. The stuff is shipped all over the country. This particular flagstone is mostly quartzite, which is extremely hard material. Much harder than concrete or granite. I would bet it would take considerable time, and diamonds, to get it polished flat. Very expensive. I don't know if all flagstone is quartzite, or just the stuff around here.
Jim

Back