What's new
What's new

OT: Wind damaged shingles--glue?

stuball48

Stainless
Same elderly lady that needed her concrete pressure washed has some (8 or 9) asphalt shingles on her roof that were damaged by a recent storm. I looked at them today and her "damage" is minor with the shingles lose where they were glued -- I think they were glued -- to the shingle underneath. What is the best glue to use to get these shingles restuck? She is worried here roof will leak but I do not think it will--even if nothing is done.
Or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks

Are the shingles torn or just not glued down tight? If they are torn I would replace them.You need to cut the nails off or possibly pop them up. There is a flat bar made for this. If they are not torn ,you can apply flashing cement from either a caulk tube or from a can.The caulk tube is not as messy.Apply three dabs the size of a nickel and about
1/4" high 1" up from the bottom.This is for each tab ,usually have three tabs per shingle.

mike

Roofing cement - a black asphalt-like product - is what's meant for this job. Many other glues may either not stick well (some silicones) or damange the base (glues with higher solvents).

Available in caulk cartridges or cans.

Another vote for roof tar.

I like the stuff in a can, and apply with a putty knife. Clean up with gasoline, and call it good. For a temporary fix on torn shingles, take a piece of tar paper, and cover it with a thin coat of roof tar. Stick it to the back of the shingle so the tear stays together. It helps if you put a bit of tar in the tear in the shingle. Then put a dab on the bottom of the tar paper, and stick it to the shingle below. Had this type of repair hold up for years, but it can fail if an ice dam or heavy snow melts then freezes again on it. Works better on steeper pitches. Just don't step on it. :cheers:

Back