What's new
What's new

OT - Work boot soles - what's the difference?

GregSY

Diamond
There are two styles of work boots made by Thorogood. I have a pair and they have been excellent, and Made in the USA, boots.

So my question is - see the different soles? One has a heel and the other has a 'filled in' heel. Why do they make them like that? Which is better? What difference would I expect to notice when wearing one pair versus the other?heel boot.jpgheel boot 2.jpg

There are two styles of work boots made by Thorogood. I have a pair and they have been excellent, and Made in the USA, boots.

So my question is - see the different soles? One has a heel and the other has a 'filled in' heel. Why do they make them like that? Which is better? What difference would I expect to notice when wearing one pair versus the other?View attachment 193000View attachment 193001

They both look to be the "crepe " foam material, so maybe only the shape is different. I dont like a flat sole boot or shoe.

I have no idea what the difference would be in a shop, possibly one has greater stopping power when at full speed? Out in the woods the sole that has the ledge seems it would give better traction walking down hill. Other then that I got nothing.

Brent

The wedge sole boots are intended for environments where the heel might catch on something and cause a tripping hazard. For instance, ironworking and walking around reinforcements in concrete work. I prefer them because I think they are more comfortable and reduce pressure points while standing for long periods.

Unfortunately, wedge sole workboots have somehow become high fashion, so I am much less inclined to wear them.

soft soles maybe better traction but wear out faster. i got soles that are hard and slippery when shoes are new. after coolant attacks the material it get softer and stickier (better traction). some like a traction pattern molded in sole bottom
some material conduct electricity to get less static sparks in explosive areas. sometimes it is just carbon or graphite added to plastic and sometimes leaves marks on the floor

The pronounced heel is more likely to catch on something and the filled in sole flexes less. It's a matter of comfort and preference. I've owned lots of boots and in my experience flatter soles with less tread are better suited to concrete floors while lugged soles and pronounced heels are better suited to outdoor use.

One very important point is chemical resistance of soles. Years ago I had a pair of boots ruined by constant exposure to spilled hydraulic fluid. The sole material eventually turned brittle and cracked.

i got 8" tall linesman shoes. taller so better ankle support and rare to get chips in shoes
got a heel almost like cowboy boots. helps climb electric poles i guess

i broke my leg wearing sneakers and slipped on ice walking my dogs. tall boots support ankle better. when you break your leg or ankle you tend to appreciate it more.

One very important point is chemical resistance of soles. Years ago I had a pair of boots ruined by constant exposure to spilled hydraulic fluid. The sole material eventually turned brittle and cracked.

That coolant may have done you a service.

Lessons learned in a best-forgotten jungle war apply to our long hours in the shop as well:

Their are boots that won't rot, but cause the feet in them to do.

Other boots rot, are replaced often, feet that were in those don't rot.

If you have a 'durable' and beloved comfortable favorite?

At least rotate multiple pairs of those same super-boots.

Don't wear the same pair more than one day out of three or four days.

The heel step may help in ladder work or using a shovel. More likely to collect mud. Cowboy boots have heels to stop them from slipping forward in a stirrup. No idea if that is good or bad for driving. Ask a women if heels have any advantages.
My brother worked for a while in a iron foundry his boots had wood soles. If he stepped in molten iron, from a broken mold, wood would not get sticky and make it hard to run away.
Bill D.

I have been in work boots for over 45 years and in a shop environment I will always go with the wedge heel.
Seems like everyone in the shop here does as well. I do think around steel there safer.
As far as brands Thorogood has to flat be one of the best work boots made...

I think that there must be some tradition or history in this. In the past, shoe soles were made from pieces of leather and leather is a somewhat flat material. It has a more or less uniform thickness. So, a shoe made with a leather sole would have a uniform thickness. But our feet really need more of a natural curve for the best comfort. So, as a first attempt to get that curve, a heel was added. The original heels were probably made from layers of, guess what, leather that were glued and nailed together. Well, men's heels anyway.

This idea of a flat bottom may have been invented earlier, but it has only been popular since the advent of inexpensive and durable materials that can be formed in a mold. I am sure it could have been done with layers of leather that were tapered, but how many shoes have you seen made that way? I have seen zero. The opening between the toe and heel may have been nothing more than an economy measure, both in terms of materials and in the labor needed to make a more complicated, tapered stack of leather.

Having spent some years in the north where snow and slop are common in the winter, I have come to favor the flat soles because you track in less of it. They also have more area for more resistance to slipping on ice.

If you walk on bar type gratings, the wedge heel seems better, the regular heel catches. (don't even think about lug sole boots) The regular heel is good on ladders. Those white soles should be non-conductive, if that is an issue for you (better for electrical work).

As for western style, I have some Redwing western style shanked boots that I always wear if driving any distance. They are the best for that.

Years ago, I wore out many pairs of the wedged sole Thorogood work boots. They were sold as steel worker boots up here. Excellent traction and comfort when framing and sheathing in steeper roofs, and you didn't catch the heel.

Be aware, that the soft sole will wear out to a banana skin, long before the leather uppers are gone.

Brian

Years ago, I wore out many pairs of the wedged sole Thorogood work boots. They were sold as steel worker boots up here. Excellent traction and comfort when framing and sheathing in steeper roofs, and you didn't catch the heel.

Be aware, that the soft sole will wear out to a banana skin, long before the leather uppers are gone.

Brian

I will confirm that.

I had a pair of Justin work boots that were ok after being broken in. They sucked for two weeks though, then I didn't get much more out of them than a year and the leather was shot at the toe bend.

Before that I wore Redwings, they are a fantastic boot and on the same level of the Thorogood's.

After the Justin's I bought a pair of Thorogood's since I like supporting the local economy and they are made an hour north of where I am in Wi. Best boot I have ever worn. I have a year and a half on the first pair with every day use, never a day of sore foot. The soles are getting mighty thin now. I just bought another pair of the same. One day to break in and they are comfy as the last pair.

Not sure about the wedge sole, never wore a pair as mine are always a heel.

Yeah....I bought the first pair of Thorogoods off of Amazon because I needed some steel toed boots. The previous 3 pairs of other makes I'd had all were super-uncomfortable.

My surprise was the Thorogoods are very comfortable...I even wear them when I don't need steel toes.

They're a very well made boot and not at all expensive. Just what I like..

w.r.t. driving - the shoes worn for driving race cars have the thinnist flattest soles you'll ever see. might not be so great for driving a heavy truck or the like...

Back