What's new
What's new

OT- Work boots.... anyway to prevent them from eating my socks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Wolverine boots as per link... pretty nice...but after a few minutes of walking, even reasonably tight 'over the calf' tube socks get pulled down into the boot. Regular socks even worse. Never owned laceless boots before...is that just the nature of the beast or is there a another type of sock that is less prone to getting pulled into the boot ?

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/69/10068769.jpg?is=500,500

I have similar boots and I find that I have to pull a pair of thick 'walking socks' over my normal ones and tuck my jeans into the thicker ones. Not 100% but it improves things no end. Mind you I've just walked the dog round our field and ended up with a bare heel on one foot :(

Andrew

That's what I do. Fold 'em over.
I'm so old I remember Topo Gigio on Ed Sullivan and yet somehow these are the first laceless work boots I've ever owned. Are they all this way...including "Cowboy" boots ?

Never owned laceless boots before...is that just the nature of the beast or is there a another type of sock that is less prone to getting pulled into the boot ?

Pull on boots have quite a bit of heal slip when new which pulls the socks down and they will require quite a bit of break in before it gets any better.
J.C. Penny "Gold Toe" socks are what I've had the best luck with as far as comfort and staying up but I still have to pull them up 2-3 times a day.

Pull on boots have quite a bit of heal slip when new which pulls the socks down and they will require quite a bit of break in before it gets any better.
J.C. Penny "Gold Toe" socks are what I've had the best luck with as far as comfort and staying up but I still have to pull them up 2-3 times a day.

You can get the gold toes at Sams as well

Leather lace up boots with a zipper on the side is what I use. I have a pair of Harley Davidson ones and some cheaper ones that I got from a sporting goods store.

You lace them to fit your needs and never have to mess with the laces again. The zipper makes it quick to put them on and take them off.

For socks I like the workforce socks. They were sold through Sears for years and they wear like iron but Sears discontinued them. I was able to find them on the net from a place in Phoenix for something like 4 or 5 dollars a pair.

Big B

How can you fold your socks over the top of slip on boots? The ones that I had were about 2" bigger diameter than my leg so there is room to get your foot through it. I don't think my sock s would stretch far enough.

Big B

Use sock garters. When you go into a coffee shop and show a little leg. Your whines and cries will turn into the ladies sighs. ciao.

Attachments

• suspenderstore_2269_176039755.jpg
    suspenderstore_2269_176039755.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 615
How can you fold your socks over the top of slip on boots? The ones that I had were about 2" bigger diameter than my leg so there is room to get your foot through it. I don't think my sock s would stretch far enough.

Big B

I uses lace up boots... I learned to tie my shoes in kindergarten.

I don't wear work boots, but I can recommend L. L. Bean Cresta midweight wool blend hiking socks. I wear them when mowing and, with snow boots, removing snow and have never worn out a pair or had them slip down. I do not wear them for normal activities, so I expect the supply I have to outlast me. Men's Cresta Hiking Socks, Wool: Socks | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I see that Bean also have "boot socks," but I have not tried them. They cost more, perhaps have more thickness. Adults' L.L.Bean Boot Socks: Socks | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

For those who are not aware, Bean has free shipping and an iron clad guarantee.

I am under the impression that "tube socks" are worthless, but have forgotten why.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back