What's new
What's new

OT: Are you an employee or the boss? What do you make?

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
I'm curious to see what the breakdown on PM is between employees and owners. I know there are several smaller shops where the owner is the one posting. I can tell by some posts, that person is the employee. I think there is only one case where I've seen two people from the same company posting. I don't need to name names since it's not important.

I've also wondered if most are in a job shop environment so you just make whatever comes through the door or you own or work for a company the makes a specific product or product group. There has been discussions about product costs and such and if giving away what you make might elude to what it costs you to make it, it's not necessary.

I guess I'll start. I'm an owner (one man show) and essentially I make the parts for my trikes. I browse to increase my knowledge because I'm basically self-taught with the help of the internet. Sometimes I'll ask a specific question on something I'm trying to do right then, but for the most part I'm a lurker.

Employee here. I used to manage a small(er) shop, about 10 people in the shop at our peak. I am just running production now at full time, but I work part time doing prototyping stuff and programming.

I have been retired from a factory tool and diemaking job for about 10 years. Now I have a job shop that I run myself.

I'm not a machinist. I'm a Chemist by trade. I learned to machine out of necessity in graduate school. I do machine work for fun, and I have been lucky enough to make money every now and then. But, if we are keeping score, I manage all of the chemistry resources for a small, but influential, and independent government agency.

Employee, as of tomorrow I will be back in a true "job shop" for a little while anyway. I've been working for a company that makes custom NDT equipment. I have worked in firearms, medical, specialized earth testing equipment, key, hunting, mining and NDT industries. I'm about to try my hand in aerospace and probably start my own place here pretty soon (tough finding the time with so many rug rats). I guess you can say all but one job are in the job shop category, other being blatant production. Most would be considered an "internal job shop".

Owner, small job shop, 9 machines 6 employee's, 2 shifts. We take on what ever we can due from our core customers, as for the rest we fill in and only take what makes since.

Employee, aerospace company. We have 170 employees attending 142 of the 168 hours a week running 40 Makinos in the Midwest.

Employee, 2 man shop with 4 CNC machines...I handle all the manufacturing aspects..cut stock, program, set up, Inspection, and running. I'm also responsible for inventory of tools/supplies. The other guy, deals with customers, quoting, and reversing customer samples as well as mentoring me since he has 30+ years in machining experience. We manufacture our own line of laser alignment solutions as well as taking on outside work. There is a crew that dose handle the actual assembly and calibration of our in house products.

Owner, employee, janitor. One man shop, Full time machinist. Product high end collectible one of a kind knives made like a machinist would make them.

Employee, aerospace company, R&D machinist. Been here 23 years now. :fight:

I make lots of really cool parts I cannot post on here though. :nono: :(

Also have a CNC hobby shop at home running on a 30hp Phase Perfect. :cloud9:

Last edited:
Employee.

I'm a machinist for a custom cutting tool manufacturer here in Iowa. Mainly a manual guy (mill, lathe, and grinder), but they tend to put people where their strongest suit is, so I'm on a Bridgeport and also setup and run Fadal VMCs. Do some manual lathe work too.

I also have a Bridgey at another guy's shop, and do little fix-its and build some tooling for beer money.;)

Edit-

Like Philabuster, can't show the work, but we make 30, 40, 50, and 60 taper boring bars, lots of specials on those shanks plus HSK and Capto specials. Brazed carbide form tools, solid carbide specials, inserts, die and fixture components, a few molds, consumable weld tooling (electrodes), and other stuff I can't remember.

The company's website-

ClineTool

Ran a shop (while running the sheet metal cncs) for ten years doing metal fabrication for heat-treat equipment manufacturing. Got tired of the personnel management end of it, I just want to do metalwork, and now have my own fabrication/machining/forging shop. One man band.

30 year employee at an OEM manufacturing bulk material handling equipment Our plant has 150+ workers and a number of sales locations worldwide. I program, set up and operate any of our 15 CNC lathes. Mazaks, Haas, and a couple of Moris, in addition to operating manual lathes and mills.

Employee. We make agricultural research equipment.

I'm the main CNC mill and press brake programmer, moving (slowly) towards programming the lathe as well. I still run parts when necessary, and almost always run through the first article and new part prototyping phases. I'm also in charge of fixture design for the mills, but still learning a lot about SolidWorks so sometimes the ideas are slow to bring to reality.

At one point not too long ago I was management and future boss to a third generation family owned company. As of the first of the year I am just a regular old employee. Programmer and department head as well as the project engineer.

Back