What's new
What's new

OT - You never know who you're going to run into!

MachineMan384

Aluminum
So I just completed my first semester of a machining certificate and got hired for my first job machining, right now as a machine operator as I am not trained enough to do any real machining yet. So in my Machine Theory class, my instructor was telling me that I really need to get into a shop as soon as possible to make sure that the industry is right for me and also that I can do it, as he said I strike him as very detail-oriented which is good but could be a detriment to my machining career if I strike the company owner/boss/interviewer as someone who will just ask too many questions and be a pain in the rear.

So I went to the job fair the school had and handed out some resumes, and got called by one of the companies who said they were looking for part-time employees. So I went to do an interview and when I was signing in, I noticed on the sign-up sheet, right above where I was signing in, the name of my instructor (the one who told me to get into a shop as soon as I can). "Wow, wonder what he was doing here?" I thought. I filled out an application as I've heard they like you to do that just to make sure you can write legibly, and put down the instructor as a reference. However it said only people whom you have known for a year or more, and I haven't known him for that long. So when I was being interviewed by the owner, I told him that I had noticed the name and that the guy was my instructor and that I'd put him down as a reference.

"Yes, I'm actually thinking about hiring him, as he has a very good resume and I am trying to expand the company and really need to start delegating. Like for example, I shouldn't really be the one doing the job interviews at this point, I need someone else who could do that."

"Well you can ask him about me," I said :)

So I have only had one day on the job and didn't see the instructor so I don't know if he was hired or not, but the thing is, in my classes, some of the guys are real slackers, to put it mildly. Like they get zeros and 30s, 40s, and 50s on the quizzes and tests, don't do the homework, etc...I have been getting straight A's in my classes though (and a B+ in machine lab), but I mean it goes to show you never know who you might run into! Always strive make a good impression.

It's the slackers that drive me nuts. They've had an opportunity to get educated, and squander it. I feel a lot more sorry for folks who are born into bad circumstances or don't have access to schooling through no fault of their own. If there's one thing the current economy shows, it's that the odds are severely against you if you don't get yourself some sort of trade or professional education.

A guy I worked with told this story of when he was in trade school for tool design.

There was one guy in the group who was the slacker. Didn't do the work but wanted to get the homework answers from the other guys. The rest of the class got so tired of it they all agreed they wouldn't share answers any more. So they're all around the table doing their work and covering their papers when the jerk comes around. Seeing they were united in shutting him out, he got real huffy and said to the bunch, "Well, I'm off you like a dirty shirt!" :D Gotta love it.

That's why You never burn bridges.

Why you are CAREFUL to burn only those as need it.

If you cannot recognize when preservation of your own sanity, integrity, and professional reputation requires that, any seriously better role in 'whatever' organization, old or new, may elude you for a very, very long time.

Decision makers are risk-takers. Have to be. Can't leave it to 'the other guy'.

Part of the reason we are paid better, but it is NEVER 'just about the money'.

Bill

HA! I had a similar thing happen when I went to interview for a new job about 20 years ago. I went in for an interview with one of my company's customers at about 6:00 in the morning, before work began. I had to sign in before entering. After the interview, when I signed out, I noticed that my boss had signed in just below my name. UH-OH! Surely he knows something is up. When he arrived at our office, I was sure he would ask why I was at the customer's office so early, so I was thinking up excuses in my mind. He never did.

Well, I got the job! When I turned in my resignation at the old company, I asked my boss if he had seen my name on the sign-in sheet. No, he said he never even looked at it.

In the end, the new job really sucked! The old company kept calling me and asking me to come back there. I eventually did. Both jobs sucked, but I stayed at the original job for years until I found something better.

Lets get this straight. You Applied for a job. And your Instructor applied for the same job?
So I have only had one day on the job and didn't see the instructor so I don't know if he was hired or not, but the thing is, in my classes,
As you tell it, wasn't he the sign in just above yours? Were'nt you competing for the same job? You won because your cheap.
Yes, I'm actually thinking about hiring him, as he has a very good resume and I am trying to expand the company and really need to start delegating. Like for example, I shouldn't really be the one doing the job interviews at this point, I need someone else who could do that.

Some one that's destined to be 2 IC -2nd In Charge, doesn't sign in just above you. They get a Dear Mr, Smith, Coffee or Donuts? from the receptionist. If I knew what a pecker head was in my culture. I'd invoke it. Your in on the ground floor, keep your mouth shut, and your mind open.
Was there multiple jobs offered there. Like machine operator & plant manager?

Regards Phil.

The old company kept calling me and asking me to come back there. I eventually did.

That happens - and COULD happen even more often - if you earned appreciation and respect. AND liked the folks there, if not always the specific job itself.

Only twice I've ever 'gone back'. But only for a far better position than I had left.

We used to joke that in some companies the only way to GET a decent raise or promotion WAS to quit and come back!

Incumbents were limited by the Human Remains Department to some max-percentage annual raise.

'New Hire' was brought-in at "market" rates.

Go figure how they ever thought this was 'a good thing' for their effectiveness as a team, staff morale, or even budget.

Bill

many night school teachers work day jobs as machinist. and the better teachers will help the better students find jobs. it is called networking. references on resumes or people the employer can call are important.
best thing is when they call and the job reference person says if their company was hiring they would hire the person immediately and not hesitate. only reason they are not hiring the person themselves is company is currently not hiring but as soon as they are hiring they would hire him immediately

Lets get this straight. You Applied for a job. And your Instructor applied for the same job?

As you tell it, wasn't he the sign in just above yours? Were'nt you competing for the same job? You won because your cheap.

The instructor and I were NOT applying for the same job, we were applying for two completely different jobs. I was applying as a total starter position, as my only machining experience is basic print reading, machine theory (knowledge about machine tools and machining from a textbook), algebra and trigonometry, and use of manual lathes and mills with some conversational programming, and basic use of micrometers, calipers, etc...

His experience consists of over three decades in the industry having done everything from machinist to shop foreman to company president to company owner, CNC expert, is a Lean Manufacturing expert, etc...the owner of the company is expanding it and there is lots to be fixed and done. They just added on a big new section, so he needs delegation/management help, but he also is looking for newbie people to the trade as well that could make good employees.

Some one that's destined to be 2 IC -2nd In Charge, doesn't sign in just above you. They get a Dear Mr, Smith, Coffee or Donuts? from the receptionist. If I knew what a pecker head was in my culture. I'd invoke it. Your in on the ground floor, keep your mouth shut, and your mind open.
Was there multiple jobs offered there. Like machine operator & plant manager?

Regards Phil.

Well in this place, he did. And yeah I do keep my mouth shut, not sure what you are getting at, I am not talking crap about anyone. I just thought it was an interesting experience in that one of my instructors from school could end up as my boss in the company I just got a job in, and thus that it shows how you never know who you will run into. And yes, there are multiple job offers, from a plant manager type of position (which is what he is being looked at for) to machine operator (which is what I am right now).

Some one that's destined to be 2 IC -2nd In Charge, doesn't sign in just above you. They get a Dear Mr, Smith, Coffee or Donuts? from the receptionist.

Boy, that's a stretch. I've been in plenty of places over the years where "Mr. Smith" gets greeted by the receptionist, then signs the sheet. It's not a waiting list for table reservations, it's a log of ALL non-employees who have been in the facility, for security, insurance, whatever. I certainly wouldn't read that much into it.

Dennis

We used to joke that in some companies the only way to GET a decent raise or promotion WAS to quit and come back!

I never understood that shit... I used to work in a nursing home, floor sweeper and then food slopper and worked my
way up to cook/supervisor... I had over 10 years in, and it took some back room dealings from some higher ups to
get my pay to where it was.. When I quit, my newly hired replacement got $3.50 more an hour than I was making...

The nursing situation was worse.. LPN's straight out of school, no experience were coming in making more than the
RN's and Nursing supervisors that had been there 10 or 15 years.. They were told to quit and then come back.. But
then you lost all your benefits and seniority.. I was at 4 weeks vaca, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and a 40 hour
bonus check on my anniversary, actually with all the benefits, I probably wasn't too far off that extra $3.50 an hour,
and my boss was cool, work Sunday and Monday doubles, single on Tuesday, take the next 4 off, then a week of vacation, taken
as 3 vaca days, 1 personal day and a sick day, then 4 more days off, double the following Thurs, Fri and a single on Sat..
2 weeks of vaca using only 3 of my 20 vacation days...

My father worked at a college teaching machining techniques, second-year apprentice, third-year apprentice, fourth-year apprentice and the same for moldmaking.

When I decided to get into the same trade at 18 I knew very little except for how to read a mic, A vernier and how to make some simple things on his lathe in the basement. As a conflict of interest he told me to go to a different college. I did. I came out with some of the top marks in my classes. I would consider myself very teachable, but I am very more teachable hands on. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree. My father encourage me to send out my college report card with each resume. I had three companies give me offers with my pay expectation. I only sent my resume out to four companies. I chose the second closest one which was what I was most interested in. I started out in a six man shop that built checking fixtures, drop forge dies, and aerospace. I chase the old mighty dollar and with each company I move to my talent was recognized. I have brought through many apprentices. To be a tradesman up here, you need to have a licensed tradesmen sign off on your abilities (with their license number and signature) or you're not allowed to take the final testing for licensing.

I semi retired after 22 years. I went out on my own with no employees, I pick and choose my jobs, and I only work an average of 15 to 30 hours a week.

I burn bridges in some places, but when I did, the company had to usually close the doors a year or two later(3 times). Crappy management and owners will lose their business if there are employees aren't happy. One company I worked at went through 137 toolmakers in two years. We are a small community, the word got around pretty quick and there is no machinist or toolmaker that would go there any longer. They had to shut their doors. Most often the offspring Who inherits the company was born from a different cloth. Stay away from small companies that have many family members sucking from the same tit.

So you got the job and he didn't? I have heard that those who can, do and those who can't, teach. Hope it ain't so.

They were two different jobs. I got a job as a machine operator, he is being considered as like a shop foreman/manager type position. And apparently he himself is considering whether he'd like to take such a job from what I've heard. I do not know the full details.

Back