What's new
What's new

OT - Youtube tool reviews

nofxz

Aluminum
I have been watching general tool box tours and such. Everyone is saying how they have a tool addiction, such as box with a bunch of mechanics stuff or a table saw and bunch of wood working stuff. These guys are like a college kid saying they have a drug addiction because they smoke pot everyday. My tool addiction is like being addicted to heroin, that being machine tools and tooling. They complain about buying 130 dollar ratchet, try a Sandvik 390 20mm with Capto backend with a box of inserts out fella.

So more to my point, a question to the people with real tool addiction. Comparable quality to the red brand but not there lower blue crap. I am just tried of my Cambodian tire house brand rounding off stuff and the other general problems with the lower end stuff.

Jon

Gedore, made in Germany. Although I admit the only reason I have their tools is the USA headquarters is only 70 miles away from me....but once I got them, very impressed with the quality....and love the perfectly water jet cut foam storage drawers that encourage putting tools back exactly where they were after each use.... makes for much easier finding the next time.

IMG_2608.jpg

Yes the photo is sideways....dunno what it is about this VB software that wants to turn vertical oriented photos on their side. Anyway, that entire cabinet is full of Gedore tools in foam. Originally I bought the cabinet with just 4 drawers of tools to hold an Optima drill grinder and it's tooling in the remaining drawers. But I liked the tools so much and the cabinet rolls so easily I decided to buy more Gedore tools and fill 'er up just for tool purposes. The top drawer contains the most impressive collection but didn't have a photo handy of that one.

I am also very pleased with Gedore, excellent quality for spanners, sockets etc. Wera are unrivalled for screwdrivers and allen keys.

Another German brand, Stahlwille, are the best of best but come with a price tag to suit.

Wera are unrivalled for screwdrivers and allen keys.
Yes, one thing surprising about the Gedore allen keys is they do not have the "Bondhaus" type of hex spherical tips....excellent otherwise, but I often need the spherical hex end to get at allen heads at a slight angle so revert to my Wiha set of those. I would think the Bonhaus patents would have expired years ago so it is a curiosity Gedore does not seem to offer them that way.

OTOH Gedore sockets and drivers may be as good as they get.

Yes the photo is sideways....dunno what it is about this VB software that wants to turn vertical oriented photos on their side.

It's because VB is showing the .jpg file as it is and ignoring the EXIF metadata that says 'display it this way around rather than the way it is'

Got some Gedore and Stahlwille stuff I like it. It must be good, dad was young when he got it and I inherited if from him a dozen years ago.

Matco 60 & 88 tooth ratchets. They are supremely nice tools to use, and will spoil you. I also really enjoy their extra-long combination wrenches.

Not mechanics tools, but Lie-Nielsen woodworking tools are great as well. They have the "oh my gosh, they be just be joking" price at first glance, but after touching/holding/using their tools, I've never heard a single complaint about them. There might be better performing tools out there, but they will be of no higher quality of build, and you will pay a dis-proportionately more expensive price for the privelidge... They have a great variety of tools as well. Good stuff.

Back