What's new
What's new

OTish...my new toy, a Logan MW lathe.

Miguels244

Diamond
A new toy followed me home...now with pictures.
A Logan/MW 04TLC-700A SN2226
Which I Think is a model 200 built in 1941.

Very clean, well kept and tight.
Mounted to shop made legs.

This one has the power cross feed.

It came with a 4 way toolpost and a bunch of brazed tip cutters.
Among the miscellany was a steady rest, and the old lantern tool posts.

MOST interesting is that it as the 6 position wheel turret/tailstock.
When retracted the turret can be rotated and it indexes the adjustable stops.
An odd thing for a light non-production tool to have.

The turret has a live and dead centers and a chuck.
A fist full of Morse taper sleeves round out the pile.

It's missing all but two of the change gears, I think I'll make a set up on the 3d printer. :)

Anyhoo, it followed me home off Craigslist. :)

Last edited:
20140729_141200[1].jpgMore of the turret showing the stops
20140729_141240[1].jpgMore overall, you can see the shop built legs
20140729_141259[1].jpgMisc that came with...the gears do not seem to have anything to do with the lathe. A couple of Lantern TPs too, and a horizontal milling arbor. There are a couple of tool, holders that look like they are designed to cut from the rear.
20140729_141443[1].jpgInside of the CG cover, the gear tag is still legible, These are the only two gears that came loose with it.

It look like a 200. The carriage does not have a clutch. Is the apron a single wall (doesn't hold oil)? Change gears are very standardized on the 200 and are the same as on the 800 and 900 series lathes and some others.

The 200 spindal is smaller outside diameter but still 1 1/2-8, MT-2.

Looks to be a Logan 200 sold through Montgomery Wards. The turret tailstock may not be original; far as I know Montgomery Wards only sold the 200 with a quick change gear box and change gears (as you have). It may well have come off a different Logan.

I'd check how well the turret lines up with the headstock. If decent, it could be a useful 2nd or 3rd lathe.

Logan also made small lathes with a larger spindle through hole and an improved carriage (with double apron lube and a feed clutch).

You also won't get that much power through the flat belts -- though plenty for a lot of turret jobs, polishing etc.

I believe the turret was available as an accessory too. The larger of the two1 1/2-8 spindals was used on the 800and 900series lathes. On the 11" lathes a 2 1/4" -8 spindle was used. A flat belt can do heavy work but get a new one. Later logans used v-belts. On the logan it takes two v-belts to do what a one inch flat belt will do.

I'm not totally sure of the history between the Logan Lathe Co. and Montgomery Wards, but It's not a "Logan" technically. Montgomery Wards had their own line of lathes with their own model numbers but they're 99% compatible with Logan.
A Logan 210 may be the closest to yours. 210's would not have come with a turret though, If it did it would be a different model number. A 200 would have had a chip pan and cast iron legs. The 210 was the bench-top version (build your own stand).

Logan started making lathes for Ward's. Later they made lathes under the Logan name. Logan actuator has a historical writeup on their website. Both the wards and Logan serial numbers are also on the website.

In the late 60s the Logan lathe line was purchased by Powermatic who made the lathe for a few years. Logan was bought back into the Logan family by Scott Logan.

The 200 was a series with available several different configurations of apron, headstock, and tailstock. You might look for the lever cross slide too.

End of page 30 refers to 'old model 700'.

Which is why I thought the turret might not be original to yours if badged a "200." In any case, a few quick tests will tell if it and the head stock are happily aligned. Pretty sure that by 1953 Wards isn't selling turret models.

Back