What's new
What's new

Ot / USB works for camera, not thumb drive

RJT

Titanium
Loaded files on a thumb drive at work, verified they were ther on another computer, took it home to do some work and my home PC doesn't seem to recognize it is there. My camera can upload / download with the same USB port. LED on thumb drive does not light, go to my computer, d drive (USB) , says insert disk ??? Any suggestions?

On my PC the Front USB ports work things like camera and scanner. Plugging a thumb drive into them just locks everything up. Thumb drive works normally in a USB extension plugged into a REAR USB port.

John Oder

Loaded files on a thumb drive at work, verified they were ther on another computer, took it home to do some work and my home PC doesn't seem to recognize it is there. My camera can upload / download with the same USB port. LED on thumb drive does not light, go to my computer, d drive (USB) , says insert disk ??? Any suggestions?

What OS are you using? sometimes XP fails to assign a drive letter to thumbdrives, go to disk manager and see if the drive is recognised there, if it is, assign a drive letter to it and you will then be able to read it.

It is XP and there is a D drive assigned to the drive when I look at it under my computer. Where is disk manager? In USB host controller, I right click, says it's working OK.

Taking the computer out of the roll top desk to get to the back will be a chore. I can do it, but may take me a while.

It is XP and there is a D drive assigned to the drive when I look at it under my computer. Where is disk manager? In USB host controller, I right click, says it's working OK.

Taking the computer out of the roll top desk to get to the back will be a chore. I can do it, but may take me a while.

Sometimes changing the drive letter will work as well, disk manager is
start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk manager.
The job i used to work in the scientists would bring me their drawings on thumbdrive, so I used to get about 5 different drives a day to view.

On my PC the Front USB ports work things like camera and scanner. Plugging a thumb drive into them just locks everything up. Thumb drive works normally in a USB extension plugged into a REAR USB port.

John Oder

X2.

My computer behaves the same. However, I have one thumb drive brand that works on the front port, while the rest of them do not and I must plug them into the extension coming from the back.

Perhaps this is an issue with USB 1.0 vs USB 2.0? Maybe the older flash will work on either USB type, but the newer flash needs USB 2.0 which might not always be fed to the front of the box.

Not familiar with a hub, imagine it's a switch to share the USB? I could try the printer in the front, but getting to the back is a PITA the way the computer is arranged in the desk. Good suggestions, thanks.

Personaly i have never had a issue with the actual machines ports. Now hubs are a whole diffrent story. Seam to have about a 75% sucess rate with thoes. Some things are fine others no chance.

After talking to a friend that understands this turns out the front socets on a pc oftern are to all intensive purposes a USB Hub type setup. Only the rear ones are on the mother board directly. Hence depending on the hub it might well result in the same issue.

Last edited:

Back