What's new
What's new

Cincinnati horizontal mills ???

rockfish

Titanium
Yesterday, I bought two Cincinnati horizontal mills. One is a universal, the other is a standard with a vertical attachment. Both machines have the overarm support and arbors. Both machines are #50 taper. Until I get a chance to clean them up a bit, I can't find any numbers so I'm not sure what I've got right now.

In all of my years of machining, I have probably an hour or less spent on a horizontal mill, so I don't know much about them. I know they can be one of the most useful machines on any shop floor and I know that they will be a great addition to my shop.

What can you tell a relative newbie about Cincinnati horizontal mills ???

Frank

www.randolphmach.com

What can you tell a relative newbie about Cincinnati horizontal mills ???

They can weigh less than 2000 and more than 16,000 and have been made by them since 1884.

There are cone head, gear head with levers to change speeds and gear heads with dials to change speeds.

Serials for many years were on a good sized rectangular brass tag that also had lube instructions.

John Oder

the tone of awe

Last week I was showing some parts to my wife, which I had roughed out on the cincinnati horizontal mill (the parts, not my wife). The material was CRS and I had stacked two staggered tooth milling cutters side by side in order to make a cut 1.2" wide by .72" deep, in one pass. Granted, it took nearly a minute to make that pass, but the machine never complained. After 70 cuts, the job was done and the cutters still looked like new. It might have been just as fast to do it all in the VMC, but I might have used up a few carbide endmills also. My wife commented that every time I talk about the Cincinnati horizonal mill I have a tone of awe in my voice. Yeah, I do.

Good luck with your new mills, I think you'll like them.

John

Mine is a No. 2 universal, 1938 year.... The serial no. is located just above the spindle. When I got mine, I called Cincinnati with the serial no. and the told be the model and year of manufacturing ( that was 35 yers ago). I also got a operators and parts manual from them at that time.

Lou

They added on back to enclose drive up from motor in base, which was also added. More meat up around top for to house dovetail overarm. I had a thirties 2M years ago - about the same. Top speed if I recall was 419.:)

This was Cincinnati's first "compact" mill.

John Oder

Back