What's new
What's new

Picture uploader with Mac no longer works, just me?

Nick Mueller

Titanium
Hi!

I'm having problems with the picture uploader. Only the basic uploader (one image at a time) works. The other one where I can select multiple pictures doesn't react when I click the button "select files". All on a Mac.
OS is the latest and greatest, browser Safari.

Anyone else or just me?
There were hick-ups in the last time, but at least it worked.

Nick

Tried one of your other browsers?.

Only have the Safari installed. There was an update this Monday (?), but no issues that sound related to that problem. But again, all worked before.

Maybe I'll just keep with the basic uploader until that one breaks too. :)

Nick

I kind of found it maybe somehow. Or not.
Having a look at the source, I found that the uploader is using Adobe FlashPlayer.
And there must be some setting I didn't find that does allow browsing for files or prevents it. Am I right with the FP? (I hate that crap)

No, I'm no fan of Safari but I still don't want to install a different browser.

Nick

'Impossible' because I so detest Flash there are NO tools for it here any longer. Not even the CLI download-then-process ones I used to keep around. EG - if 'Flash' is the answer, I don't care what the question was - just go and find a site coded with better manners.

Don't understand how you meant that.
Anyhow, we both seem to agree to disagree.

When I disable Adobe FuckPlayer for PM and try a picture upload, here is what happens:
Window opens with the two tabs for upload from computer and from URL. With the button "select files" down in the middle and a link (?) in the lower right to "basic uploader".
As soon as I click on "select files", Safari asks for permission to open FlakPlayer. If I allow, it doesn't work. And is I don't allow, it doesn't work either. :)

Nick

Ober Kommando der Google oder Ober Kommando der Adobe

Hahaha! :D

Nary a hint of Flash querying, no pop-ups. not going off to some other site.

When looking (that was just a quick browse through!) at the source code for the uploader, I just saw that it is looking for FP. So I simply disabled FP for PM and then ... well, the code seems to find that there is a FP installed, but disabled. So it asks for allowance to use it.

As I didn't really analise the code, this is what I suspect:
JS finds no FP, so it proceeds with JS. That's why it works on your computer.
If JS detects an FP, the code gets stubborn and insists on continuing that route, no matter wether FP is enabled for that site or not.

Wait ... clickclickclick ... here we go! I disabled FP completely, and I only get the basic uploader directly. No chance to select the multiple-files-uploader.
Even if I enable popups (they are disabled). Both in the quick reply and the extended reply.
Is that extended uploader Java (I have disabled that virus too for the browser) or JavaScript (the internet BASIC)?

Nick

I too had issues last night uploading pictures.
Windows 7 here.
Same issue only the basic up-loader available.

Me too, for several weeks now. I use IE and Chrome, and have the issue with both.

But I am once again in the mode that never asks me to log in to PM, which is nice.

I can use computers, but I know nothing about why they change behavior at more or less random intervals.

Larry

Same issue only the basic up-loader available.

Interesting!
As far as I do read right, the last update for FlashPlayer for Win was 8th April and for Mac was 13th April. Might be a fit.

If I find time, I'll try to remove the looking for FP in the JS-code.

Nick

Not working for me in Windows, but basic uploader is working. Have emailed IT about it...strange.

I was able to select and insert these 2 pics together using the latest version of Safari and the most recent update of Flash for MacIMG_0081.jpgIMG_0082.jpgat 2:20 pm EDST. Perhaps M's inquiry to IT had results. But I have noticed the last 2 Safari updates have made sites using Flashplayer more awkward to access, or some, not at all.

However ..the 'other than flash' AKA simplified uploader I used to post the screenshots had no problem doing two in the first go.

Never could do that, just select one file. To me, that is quite obvious, as the system call has a flag like "allow multiple files". So if you can select two files, you should be able to select any number of files.
Sure I can call the basic uploader several times, but that is annoying (but a workaround).

Having read Sea Farmer's reply, I tried again. No change. I have Plug-in-version 13.0.0.201 installed.

Nick

Sea Farmer, all the same here. So what's the difference? Settings in the FP-plug-in? Mine is for the plug-in "allow" (well, the German word for it).

Then in the control-panel (of system settings) -> Frog player:
Memory tab:
Ask, before new websites are allowed to store information on this computer (once was on allow, but PM doesn't ask for permission to store data).
No private browsing

Play tab:
Ask when a website wants to use peer-assisted-networking

Extended tab:
Browsing data und settings. I deleted them, makes no difference
Updates. *Not relevant*
Protected data. *not relevant*, never touched that
Developer tools. *not relevant, never touched that

Nick

Nick I take it by "frog player" you mean flash player?

My control panel settings are the same as yours.

But weird stuff has been going on in my iMac since the last Safari update--no longer allowed to use Yahoo Messenger stand-alone program, must go in by logging into Yahoo mail, which version doesn't allow video chat. The stand-alone YIM does. I think its also flash player dependent?

And certain video on other, presumably secure sites like BBC News, no longer play. Its odd.

Nick,
I recently had incompatibility issues with Flash Player running on the most recent Mac OS ("Mavericks"). For me, it materialized with playing videos--everything loaded as a "plug-in failure." I tried just about everything and only solved the issue by accessing my backup ("Time Machine") to go back and replace the latest Flash Player plug-in to its previous version. Something would seem to be dysfunctional between OSX 10.9 and Flash Player 13.

I followed the instructions offered in the Apple Support Community forum:

Same problem. Upgraded to Flash version 13 and it no longer worked (Plug-In Failure). You can downgrade if you have Time Machine or some other backup.
Open up Time Machine and navigate to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins on the most recent backup before the update. Select FlashPlayer.plugin and click Restore. When it asks if it should overwrite the existing copy answer yes.
Following that I restarted Safari and Flash (version 12) was working again.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6072114

Back