What's new
What's new

Help With Mics

Which Micrometer

• Total voters

Limited660

Aluminum
Got a few mics im looking at buying, price for 0-1 is really no option since I can go about $200-$250 for one, but if I can get same quality for quite a bit lower I will(comparing Mitutoyo to Starrett in counter mics :)...) If I get the MDC Digimatic IP65, should I get .00005 or .0001 and im really trying to get ratchet stop instead of friction but I will give friction a chance. Also, what is ball attachment used for??

I know many of you dont like the vernier mics because they are easy to make mistakes with and dont have the 1-button inch/metric function :) Im really leaning towards the MDC Digimatic because its digital, has IP65 protection and has the inch/metic along with absolute origin(I think). So please vote on poll for what you think is best :)

Personally, for 0-1" I like my vernier Mitutoyos with no ratchet thimble, and no friction thimble. I find they just balance better in my hand, and they feel good (not THAT kind of good), but its what I'm used to and its what I like, nice and light and well balanced, and not bulky.

Counters just add weight, digital crap just adds weight, thimbles add weight, it may not be much, but it drives me absolutely fricken' nuts.

Just my personal preference.

ball attachment

I think that is used for measuring wall thickness on pipe and tubing, I prefer digital mics because that is what we are using now, also you can't argue a measurement it is what it says(no vernier scale) absolute and inc. mode can screw with the new guys.

I voted for the Mit vernier, even though I have a brand new digital IP 65. The digital is so big and clunky compared to the little vernier mics. Most of what I measure is very small, so balance and feel make a big difference.

If you really want to use the ratchet, or friction for that matter, you need to 'feel it out' on a known gage of similar shape beforehand. I can zero out a mike on a known good gage block, but if I then measure a small turned part the mike is going to behave differently. Can't really explain it any better than that but that's what I've noted over the years.

Both friction and ratchet on mine, never use either.

If you're getting a mic that reads to .00005, you better have some decent pin gages and gage blocks around to double check things or your readings will have little meaning.

well, for plain calipers I have had the mit digital for 6 years. I lusted over the IP65 version for several years... until I finally bought one. I dont like it. it's a tiny bit bigger but the big pain for me is it doesnt return to a set zero when you turn it off. i really hate it for that.

and I have the digital mit micrometer too... and I used to lust for the ip65 version of that too..... but not anymore.

I dont plan to drop my Mic in the coolant tank. the calipers I'm less carefull with and I could see the waterproof feature as potentially usefull. but not really for micrometers.

I would trade even up my new ip65 6" caliper for a regular digital absolute caliper. I cant live with two similar calipers that operate differently.

Im up for any suggestions if you can find a Starrett for around $150-200 :) and can anyone tell me the length of their vernier mic when closed please. Also forget to mention im only getting 0-1" mic.

I have two of the Mit 0-1" verniers in my box and have also used a Mit 0-1" digital at school. For my use the vernier wins hands down, it is small, has good balance and has a good feel in my hand. The digital feels about twice the size and seems clunky to use. As a side note the digital will leave you in a real bind if the batteries die in the middle of a job so make sure you have extra batteries or a vernier as a backup.

Well how do you guys feel about the counter style?? I have no problem reading verniers just wondering :) Yeah I called Mitutoyo and the digimatic one is like 6 1/4" long when closed and thats pretty big...

6 1/4" long when closed and thats pretty big...

This made me chuckle.

Most standard 0-1"mics are about 5" closed.

In my opinion, mics with the counters are a waste of money. I have seen them jump digits and never return to zero.

I have owned or used a lot of different mics over the years and my preference for standard 0-1" mics are without a doubt my Brown & Sharpe. For digital (which I don't much care for), the best all around are Mitutoyo IMO.

Im up for any suggestions if you can find a Starrett for around $150-200 :) and can anyone tell me the length of their vernier mic when closed please. Also forget to mention im only getting 0-1" mic.

Looks to me like a Starrett model # 230 is just about 4 3/8" in length when closed. Did this with a calibrated eyeball.:D

Back