Place location in profile
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Place location in profile

Just a reminder of what most know already...we need a location. If USA, we need city and state ideally...or area of the country at minimum....but put the county if so... "East" could be East Turkey for all we know.

Northeast USA is ok.....Maine, USA better....Freeport, ME even better.

For countries other than USA, just the country at minimum but the more info the better.

2. Likes el gringo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, fine.

I'm usually somewhere in the red circle whenever I can be.

I assume the precise location is needed to minimize required warhead yield, and I guess I'm ok with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joecr View Post
    I assume the precise location is needed to minimize required warhead yield, and I guess I'm ok with that.
    As aluded to, "precise" location is not needed. In your case it would be good to add USA to Texas but I suppose Texas is one of the states even most Swedes know is USA due to Dallas TV show syndication reruns !

I'm half serious about that as I was in England once, out in the middle of nowhere ("The Old Swaylands") staying at a bed and breakfast, and the owners son wanted to know what was going to happen on the next few Dallas episodes, as it seems they got them a month or so after the USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As aluded to, "precise" location is not needed.
    uh oh...

In your case it would be good to add USA to Texas
    harrumph...

I'm more tempted to add (restore) Republic to Texas

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully you will be having your "internet staff" monitoring & banning the morons who post in the classifieds w/o providing a clue as to their location...while they complain of having no respondents to their ad trying to sell their 4000#+ K&T horiz mill that needs work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope to stick w/ just "West" Michigan, as the will have to "waste" two war-heads to ensure my demise! ... ... ... Oh crap they can track my IP?

OT, BTW -> I thought we were selling Texas back? Remember the Alamoooooo? ( Running for the door! )

Doug S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, where am I this month, er, central france and the uk mostly
    Which is why I leave it as nomadic...
    Or did you mean the machines? most of them are in france all settled. Pity we just bought a new place and I have to go through the pain of moving it all again. Still, new place has a bigger shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where and HOW? I do not see a link to my profile and I am not sure I want to be that up close and presonal.

Kent

10. Likes leod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent David Redd View Post
    Where and HOW? I do not see a link to my profile and I am not sure I want to be that up close and presonal.

Kent
    Look up a bit and to the left... on blue nav bar, click "User CP" and then "edit profile"

re "not sure..." comment, if USA min requirement is general area, such as East Coast, USA .... but if another country, min requirement is the country only... up to you to go beyond that or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I left mine vague enough to increase the warhead count needed to get me. How does radiation from a blast affect machinery? I figure the cnc stuff is toast but manual stuff would still be good in the blast zone if not glowing.

Clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[When I was a kid] we didn't hafta worry aboot the fallout or whatnot. It was assumed, rumoured, or whatever ... that we were quite high on the "hit list" for the Ruskies as our very rural - one stop light - town was a major local for comminications. AT&T had a major hub here with lotsa repeaters or whatnot hanging from the tower and a big building fulla electrical equipment.

Building and tower is still here - tho the repeaters were recently taken down and a cell antenna went up (from what I hear?). Building is empty, and no AT&T employees here anymore.

I think we're safe from the direct hit now - which is actually scarrier.

EDIT - Oh yeah - supposedly there is a fallout shelter behind the building. ???

-------------------

F/S - 355 SBC Fresh but been setting.
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As the logistics of telling someone they need to add profile and then me having to remember to check back to see if they actually "did it" is getting ridiculous, from now on when I see someone has not done so I'm just going to ban them. With the ban they will get a notice as to why they are banned and if they contact me and then promise to immediately add location after getting "un-banned", I will unban them.

I know this seems too "harsh", but it's the only way I can see I won't waste so much time with enforcing the issue.

(as an example note that days later Kent David has still not edited in his location, even after I went to the trouble of explaining to him exactly how to do it )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Why

Milacron,

I was wondering why this is a concern to you? I can guess a few reasons that locations would be handy to know, (one mentioned above) and I know that you can track IP's and verify approximate locations, sometimes. (My IP from home will probably show Kalamazoo, MI)

I'm just curious.

Doug from W. Michigan, maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with Milacron, I'm always glancing at locales in the profiles because of one comment or another. Ya know, Ox was always lookin' for snow....musta' found some..

Now as for Dazed, I can't imagine a congregation of gear heads not knowing where the Isle of Man is. The cheese heads in Wisconsin probably know where Guernsey and Jersey are too, (no, not between NY and Pa!).

...but Texas, naw, the "U.S.A." is redundant 'round the world but from the blistering dry heat of El Paso, to Houston where it rains from the ground up, jeez, Austin and San Antonio sorta' split it. Hurricanes in the South and tornados in the the middle. Just 'Texas' isn't enough on a chunk of dirt you could stick most of New England in.

Now the only similarity between No and So Cal, we all love rock and roll and our ground gets with it too.

Seriously, how self-important a delusion do you have to have, to even consider that anyone would waste a multi-billion dollar bomb on you 'cause you mouthed off, lordy lord!

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw 40 or 50 years ago, guy fearfully runnin' low, head and ears covered with hands, wailing, "the paranoids are after me, the paranoids are after me."

I'm in the phone book, address and all....skeered $hitless?.....'course I'm shakin', live in Ca. Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell Jr. View Post
    Just 'Texas' isn't enough on a chunk of dirt you could stick most of New England in.
    hey now.. "most" of New England" ?

696K km²:
    You could fit all of New England.
    And olde England.
    And Germany.
    And still have room for a few dozen Isle of Man's

All that talk about multi-billion dollar bombs were a joke of course....

They don't cost near that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hey now.. "most" of New England" ?
    696K km²:
    You could fit all of New England.
    And olde England.
    And Germany.
    And still have room for a few dozen Isle of Man's

Joe, I sneer on your assertions. No, bugger it. They are worth two sneers. Sneer! Sneer! There, take that!

You call that big! You call that a knife?

I have to drive through 6 time zones to get from work to home.

If it wasn't for a few oil wells leaving a greasy smudge you wouldn't notice Texas superimposed on a map of this wide brown land. And I'm only referring to Queensland here.

To get on topic for a change. I modified my profile when I realised that there was a member calling Brisbane, California home. Until then I was unaware of its existance let alone any other Brisbane which might be lurking out there.

It is helpful particularly in the classified section to know where posts are originating to get an idea of freight costs and whether a purchase is possible/viable. Also a location might give an insight to the regional views of a poster, like unreasonable red neck stubborn bugger or reasonable, placcid, understanding, sympathetic, empathetic and thoroughly decent chap like me.

As the tourism promotion says :- Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien W View Post
    Joe, I sneer on your assertions. No, bugger it. They are worth two sneers. Sneer! Sneer! There, take that!

You call that big! You call that a knife?

I have to drive through 6 time zones to get from work to home.

If it wasn't for a few oil wells leaving a greasy smudge you wouldn't notice Texas superimposed on a map of this wide brown land. And I'm only referring to Queensland here.
    oh, me sides hurt.

I apologize for my ignorance. Had to look Queensland up and learned it is vast and ...a bit special. I mean, we've have had a few wars here too, but never fought rabbits and toads. And lost.

Still don't know if the place really was named after Freddy Mercury's band, or just some characteristic of the locals. Just haven't heard the straight story on that. So to speak.

P.S. - on going through six time zones getting home from work; you might consider asking directions or getting a GPS. Or cut back on the Foster's until you are home. Just a suggestion.

20. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oh, me sides hurt.

I apologize for my ignorance. Had to look Queensland up and learned it is vast and ...a bit special. I mean, we've have had a few wars here too, but never fought rabbits and toads. And lost.

Still don't know if the place really was named after Freddy Mercury's band, or just some characteristic of the locals. Just haven't heard the straight story on that. So to speak.

P.S. - on going through six time zones getting home from work; you might consider asking directions or getting a GPS. Or cut back on the Foster's until you are home. Just a suggestion.
    There have been other environmental disasters in the past also, like prickly pear and groundsel bush. As with rabbits and toads the mechanism to prevent catastrophic uncontrolled overpopulation did not exist here.

Bless you, sweets for thinking of poor old Freddie. He must have got that severe overbite somehow. But the queen thought of at the time might well have been that German speaking Queen Victoria.

In respect of the 6 time zones, I must have had a Texas moment with that. Maybe a slight exaggeration there.

Fosters is just dirty dishwater reserved for furreners. Queenslanders overwhelming indulge in Fourex (XXXX), not to be confused with XXX which has quite another type of application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, this stuff about Texas and New England....If you stretched out the land area on the hills and Mountains out flat, we might fill.....OK....about 1/2 of Texas..... My father in Colorado used to say that New Hampshire was about as big as the county I moved here from.

I got chewed on about not having my location on my profile a while back. I put it on and the Black helicpoters came snooping about.....

Serious though, it is kind of interesting to see how ideas, techniques and terminology differ between regions and countrys. I say this as a teacher, one who has lived all over the US and as one who also works in the shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking

Texas is the second largest state in the union. To be fair, Alaska should be split in half. Then Texas would be... third!

24. Likes duncanbojangles liked this post