Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Place location in profile

Damien W is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by spope14 View Post
    Ok, this stuff about Texas and New England....If you stretched out the land area on the hills and Mountains out flat, we might fill.....OK....about 1/2 of Texas..... My father in Colorado used to say that New Hampshire was about as big as the county I moved here from.

I got chewed on about not having my location on my profile a while back. I put it on and the Black helicpoters came snooping about.....

Serious though, it is kind of interesting to see how ideas, techniques and terminology differ between regions and countrys. I say this as a teacher, one who has lived all over the US and as one who also works in the shops.
    How can you shamelessly admit to being a teacher and spell "countrys" as you have?

It's obvious that the rot and complete disregard for standards has infiltrated all stratas of your society.

With different cultures we can enjoy the diversity of opinion but shoddiness is a poor reflection on yourselves.

Screwmachine is online now Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Damien W View Post
    How can you shamelessly admit to being a teacher and spell "countrys" as you have?

It's obvious that the rot and complete disregard for standards has infiltrated all stratas of your society.

With different cultures we can enjoy the diversity of opinion but shoddiness is a poor reflection on yourselves.

I thought he meant the -county- in Colorado. There are some very big counties in some states.

I spent a couple of years in Houston, late sixties.

It was only a decade since Alaska had been admitted to the Union an' them good ol' boys was still-a-smartin'.

I found a sure way to clear barstools, "hey, did ya' know that LBJ, (for our furrin' friends, the US president from Texas), wants to split Texas through the middle, making it the 5th largest state in the Union and call the upper part Baja Oklahoma?" I can still smell the tar and feathers.

Actually, I only tried that one on a few good Texan friends, I don't drink and I'm not nearly that brave.

Had a great time exploring a large region, as far as N'arlin's, (New Orleans to most) on my bike. Caution: them 'Cajuns an' a whole mess a' visitors gets crazy in February.

There's a fun game they use to play in Houston; Bridge Spinnin'. First good frost of winter ices up the hundreds (seems like) of bridges going over the bijous, Inner Loop and Outer Belt. The object of the game is to be the first on the bridge in the morning, so that when all the cars quit spinning, yours is in the middle. Paralyzed the city 'til the sun warmed it up. Has global warming ruined that game?

I'd probably better stay out of Texas for a while.... Bob

joecr is offline Hot Rolled

Splitting Texas does come up from time to time. That's one of the few remaining special rights that survived the War, granted by the original annexing agreement (Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States, March 1, 1845).

That document spells out the right to split into five states.

Ten senators, heh heh. The world would freak.

As a practical matter, they would be five very different states. I'm not convinced the region of the Davis Mountains is on the same planet as far east Texas. The odds of splitting are probably even less than the odds of a state income tax.

The right to secede altogether was pretty much wasted by the war, but the "biggie" was being able to keep ownership of public lands to the state, not Federal. That was a few hundred million acres, all other states would have lost that to the feds at annexation.

Finally got around to reading Shute's "A Town like Alice". Had some spare time, cool breeze coming in from the Tennessee river, and adequate cold brews...
    I retract all mean things I've said about Queensland, if that very familiar kind of place described still remains.

As a completely neutral observation, Queensland's population is about the same as Harris county (holds Houston). Granted, it is one of the most crowded of the 254 counties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12