What's new
What's new

Planer Shaper Gauge

rolleikin

Plastic
OK guys,

I know the planer/shaper gauge has been discussed before, and I am using one, occasionally, but I would really like to learn how to use it properly.

Where can I find a comprehensive user's guide that explains all the features and how to use the device?

Andrei
(I have more tools that I don't know how to use, than those that I do know).

Attachments

• Starrett Planer Shaper Gauge.jpg
    Starrett Planer Shaper Gauge.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 684
I have two with dial indicators adapted for press brake set-up

Think of it as a large adjustable parallel to transfer a measurement.

If you need instructions for a planer gage ("Where can I find a comprehensive user's guide that explains all the features and how to use the device?") I would advise you to re-think your need for using a planer gage.

I use them for setting/checking tool heights, sometimes set a clock say for a soft stop, sometimes as a cutting reference. Only limit is the imagination of the user me thinks.
I'd be interested in any old school blurb on them as I also wasn't born with all knowledge.

I actually use mine on a planner :D

Use the "accessories" to make your gauge tall enough to measure your feature, slide the pieces up and down until you have the measurement and then use the set gauge to transfer that measurement to other parts of the piece you are working on.

The one place I have found it indispensable is planning dovetails on the back of Bridgeport tables. I have to set the angled tool bit to plane one side of the dovetail then change out the tool for different angled bit to plane the other side of the dovetail. I measure the exact height of the tool by setting the gauge under it, change the tool and reset the new tool to the same height as the gauge. Simple with the gauge..

They have tons of other uses that are simply limited by your imagination and needs.

<Snip>.

They have tons of other uses that are simply limited by your imagination and needs.

Kind of like a carpenters square. In the hands of most of us carpentry hacks it has just a couple of functions---length measurement maybe and drawing a 90 line. But, a skilled carpenter can use them to layout complicated parts quickly in wys that leave most of us slack-jawed. Maybe the OP is not so "dumb" to ask the question.

Denis

If you have a reasonably accurate surface plate the planer gage is useful for taking off or transferring measurements from odd-shaped parts. A good set of angle blocks will help too, now you have good references in two planes.

I mostly use my machine tools for repairing/replacing broken parts on farm equipment for which original replacement parts are unavailable or poor-quality or just overpriced; and for which I don't have dimensional drawings. So measure them up on the surface plate, make the part, then use the planer gage to check the dimensions on the replacement.

A good set of Jo blocks helps too.

Adding a DTI to the gage can help comparing a stack of Jo blocks to your part/measurement.

I made a more-elaborate-than-truly-necessary (but oh so convenient and sweet to use) cinch to hold the DTI on my gage.

Denis

Attachments

• Cinch.jpg
    Cinch.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,497
To the OP: If you read the text in the link provided by BillD, and look at these pictures, that should give you some ideas on how this item can be used. These pictures are NOT mine, but I copied them from Starrett's website a few years ago. They are pictures of Starrett's Universal Precision Gage, which is their fancy name for a Planer-Shaper Gage on steroids...

Attachments

• Starrett_995_5.jpg
    Starrett_995_5.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • Starrett_995_4.jpg
    Starrett_995_4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • Starrett_995_3.jpg
    Starrett_995_3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Starrett_995_2.jpg
    Starrett_995_2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 813
  • Starrett_995_1.jpg
    Starrett_995_1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 857
Follow-up to my previous post - Here is a PARTIAL list of patents pertaining to the Planer-Shaper Gage. If you read the patents, the description of what the patent covers quite often describes how it can be used. Patents are available as downloadable PDF's via Google Patents.

Patents related to Universal Precision Gage and/or Planer Shaper Gage

I worked on and around planers and planer operators most of my life. I never knew one that even possessed a " planer gauge " , never mind used one.

The vernier height gauge was normally the tool of choice, or a big scribing block.

Regards Tyrone.

Back