What's new
What's new

Plasma Cutting Handheld Torches Types

ngjoko

Plastic
Hello, everybody. I'm still very new here and I can't seem to find anything about such topic so I decided to register and post a new one. If anyone had read anything similar please guide me to it, thanks.

Lately I'd been promoted to do product training in my company and part of the job is to understand and prepare a manual book so that newbies could understand better. The problem is I myself don't understand much about hand tools, power tools, or anything at all about fabrication. I managed to get information I needed for hand and power tools but I didn't have any luck when it comes to the details of fabrication equipment (just product sales everywhere and details on how to do plasma cutting).

I'm currently stumped with plasma torches. There are so many type in the catalog but I can't find anything helpful anywhere. Is there any difference of specifications when it comes to these hand torches? Does all the torches functions and cut the same?
  • PT 31
  • SG 51
  • SG 55
  • P 50
  • P 80
  • Cebora 50
  • Cebora 70
  • Cebora 150
  • S-45
  • LT-141
  • LG-80
  • WSD-200

Again, I'm absolutely clueless about the details of plasma cutting machines and torches(I don't even know what the numbers on the machines meant). I really hope to get some information soon. Thank you in advance for your help.

Generally I think the number refers to the amp capacity of the torch, the letters are the style, I'm guessing that there may be a few machine (straight) torches in there, they all have the same connecting plug I think, mines a thermal arc torch, so I tend to buy thier torch but many other manufacturers make torches that are compatable
Tips and cartriges are another jungle of parts, not dissimilar to tig torches, the range is overwhelming
Mark

Thank you so much for the information, Mark.

From my understanding, straight, 75º, & 90º only chosen based on the cutting position and user's comfort. The torches do have similar plugs and hoses attached to them so i guess multiple models can be attached to and used by a single type of machine.

It's actually the spare parts that worries me the most. For example:
  • Does PT 31 & SG 51 cut the same way?
  • Are there any significant advantage of a certain model over other model? (material consumtion, speed, etc.)
If the models don't have much difference then I can a lot work easier.

At the risk of oversimplifying things, the higher the amperage rating the thicker the material a particular torch can cut.
Capacities can vary depending on material being cut. Model numbers are arbitrary and vary between manufacturers
but they denote things like torch size and head angle.

It would help to know what the training manual will be used for. Do you currently have a lot of different plasma cutters
now? I would focus on equipment that is actually in the shop--no need to learn a lot about machines you don't have.
The manufacturers and suppliers of the machines can also be a great help when it comes to support and training...

The proper plasma torch is the one that is made for the machine.

You don't get to swap and choose.

They all get operated the same way.

What happens inside is of no concern for the operator.

Why aren't the operators simply reading the manual that comes with each plasma cutter ? Why the re-write ?

Why aren't the operators simply reading the manual that comes with each plasma cutter ? Why the re-write ?

The OP is from Indonesia. Hard to say how many different language dialects that he is having to deal with. Few manuals are printed outside of the standard trade languages and lack of technical vocabulary is another problem to deal with.

ok, the OP is asking about Trafimet torches ...an Italian (w/ Chinese clone) line of torches .

Trafimet is purported to be the "Tweco" or "Weldcraft" of europe . they make lots of weld-
related goods, like mig guns , plasma , and Tig torches . looks promising ....never used one in
person.

anyway , the torch you choose has to match your machine/supply .

supply types might be pilot arc or high frequency . the machine will have connections to
match the torch.

Trafimet USA

It would help to know what the training manual will be used for. Do you currently have a lot of different plasma cutters
now? I would focus on equipment that is actually in the shop--no need to learn a lot about machines you don't have.
The manufacturers and suppliers of the machines can also be a great help when it comes to support and training...

Well, we are a relatively new hardware and industrial equipment distributor and most of the employees here are salesmen who had neither worked with nor even seen such things, myself included, so naturally we don't really have much clue about how things work and why are there so many type of torches when there is only a few models of plasma cutting machines (mainly Cut 40, cut 50, & cut 70). I'd really like to focus on what we actually have like you said, but unfortunately since there's an available catalog, I need to prepare the guys the knowledge & information they might need when the are facing potential customers.

The thing is I wanted to let them know basically:
  • How fabrication machines works (basically).
  • The pros and cons of Plasma cutting, Oxygen cutting, & the available welding methods.
  • What those model numbers on the machines meant (max amperage from what I can tell).
  • How to choose the proper torches for the machines available.

If they only sell the machines alone then it'd be easy since they come with their own clamp and torch, but the variety of additional torches available really overwhelmed me as all of them have very slight variation from one another.

When these products were first introduced to us, they did send a trainer but I was not included(ironically) into the training program. From what i heard they were only told about the basic functions of the machines, not so much about the variety of accessories available.

ok, the OP is asking about Trafimet torches ...an Italian (w/ Chinese clone) line of torches .

Trafimet is purported to be the "Tweco" or "Weldcraft" of europe . they make lots of weld-
related goods, like mig guns , plasma , and Tig torches . looks promising ....never used one in
person.

anyway , the torch you choose has to match your machine/supply .

supply types might be pilot arc or high frequency . the machine will have connections to
match the torch.

Trafimet USA

Thanks, this is a helpful information, I didn't know there was a category for torches. I can expand my research now.

Well, i get the idea that the torches that come with the machines are best fit for them, so I wouldn't bother with them. The thing is, there is a whole catalog of spare or additional torches available but there is no hard copy manual anywhere, not even in existing stocks. The brand of the stuff is so vague(mainly CNR & Daesung) that I can't even find their pictures online, let alone proper specs and information.
My boss always come up with stupid questions so I'm trying to think like him and understand if there is any difference between the models since there is literally a dozen of spare plasma torch models available for now and I can't find any proper information anywhere.

Thanks for the feedback though, I really appreciate it.

Torches even cut differently on each side of the kerf depending on the rotation of the plasma stream. I can remember one horror story where someone did not use the plasma torch correctly or assembled the parts incorrectly. The repair to the torch was over 400 dollars and that was in 1987 dollars. I can still see the foreman dancing up and down. So easy to damage and even easier to shorten life of consumable parts if manufacturer's instructions are not followed.
interesting additional tidbit: life of consumable parts is determined by number of stops and starts rather than the length cut. People who press the button for no reason on and off are expensive employees.

interesting additional tidbit: life of consumable parts is determined by number of stops and starts rather than the length cut. People who press the button for no reason on and off are expensive employees.

This is a really nice information, thanks

Back