What's new
What's new

lathe spindle bearings

puller1

Plastic
Hi I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how to check to see if my lathe has bad spindle bearings ? It does have a slight vibration to it but I don't have it bolted down to the flour mostly at higher speeds like 600 and up. Is there any kind of test to do on it . I here the precision tapered bearing are kind of pricie. Thanks

Isolate the lathe first then put a length of stout bar in the chuck ,put a dial indicator somewhere on the chuck and push and pull the bar ,if the indicator moves more than a tenth or two I would say you have a problem ,It may be that they can be adjusted ,it depends what you are making as to whether it really is a problem or something you can live with.

On edit
the vibration could easily be something else ,I have a lathe that shakes a bit at higher speeds and I assume that to be and out of balance chuck but as I don't really need to use the higher speeds much it is not an issue.

Also it would be a good idea to tell us what lathe this is (unless it is a Chinese POS) as someone will likely have experience of your make and model of machine.

My lathe that has the vibration is a grozioli Itatian lathe 20" /29" x 80 bed i is around 1960 era I think there are picture of this lathe on the PM site if they still come up . Search for my Lansing lathe

run it without the chuck and then with different chucks and faceplates and see how the vibration is. Do you remount the chuck the same way each time?
Bil lD.

yes, they are pricey . new bearings would likely cost more than the machine is worth . how are you getting the vibes @600 rpm ?

during a cut ..... spinning a LARGE chuck .....spinning an 18" four jaw @ 600 rpm ? what about at slower spindle speeds ?

Yes it is an 18" chuck. I was turning a 1-1/4" shaft and at 460 you can feel vibration by touching the machine and the light is vibrating on the machine. And I not sure if the cut is as good as it should be either And it is a four jaw chuck and I did dial it in I probaly should just live with it and not worry Thanks

Are you getting chatter on the work from turning that looks like gear teeth?

If so, you may have a headstock full of worn out gears. Might be worth opening up the headstock and taking a peak.

Are you getting chatter on the work from turning that looks like gear teeth?

If so, you may have a headstock full of worn out gears. Might be worth opening up the headstock and taking a peak.

also, do you have a smaller chuck for this machine ? has the bed been leveled/balanced (flat on the floor . please- no bs about leveling a machine :D )
what about turning with the chuck removed ?

Run with no chuck is a good idea but try to see if bearings need lubrication also.

Mentioned...out of balance chuck perhaps... gears perhaps with showing a pattern in cut finish.

Not easy to bar-lift test a big lathe with heavy chucks.

Chuck off or smallest chuck on a 2x4 pry with a 3 foot long 2x4 and a one hand push should lift spindle/or not to show near zero sloppiness. Do the same at the rear end of the spindle. That machine should have an automatic spindle bearing lubrication system of some sort so find out if it works and has lube.

Find a schematic on the headstock and discover what kind of bearings and take-up it has and go from there.

Discover where the take-up is and see if you can turn a nut or device to add some load on the bearings if you discover that is needed. Taper type bearings type perhaps you can adjust/ duplex perhaps shot is shot.

I thought generally a good indication would be impossible to get decent surface finish..

Vibrations could be anything from the motor to anything between it and the chuck...

I would hazard a guess the machine may have Gamet bearings.... I know Graziano used them..

I would look to the motor coupling to the drive train first. Does it have belts? Are they worn. Are there belt sets? They may have become unmatched. If belts are the belt pulleys tight? Are there drive couplings? Are the flexible elements degraded?

If the bearings are worn out you can often feel it when you spin the spindle by hand in neutral.

Back