What's new
What's new

Need a source for fire hydrants

Cory

Cast Iron
I am looking to buy three used complete fire hydrants (the real thing)for props. These do not need the long valve below but the upper plug needs to have all the caps and bolts intact. A newer looking one like the Muellers with three caps would work great. These will be repainted. I live in Northern Va. Any help where I can get three the same would be great!!!

Thanks,Cory

Go to the source

Hello- You need to check with your local authority that runs the water system. It may be a town, city, county, water authority, or even a private water company. They will have hydrants that have been replaced or removed from service for one reason or another. If they cannot sell or give you what you need, ask them who purchases their scrap metal. The scrap dealer will be pleased to sell you the hydrants or tell you who will. Remember that a hydrant holds a pretty good chunk of brass that will run up the price unless it has been stripped. Mount them pretty solid in the ground, kids have been known to warp an anvil when left to their own devices. Regards, Clark

Around here, the hydrants aren't actually owned by the local utility...they are leased. Not sure if it is like that in other areas or not. I only found this out a few months ago. We finally have a council that believes we need to see the budget for our department. (I am an officer with the local fire department.) Even the Chief didn't realize that our taxpayers don't own the hydrants...

Andrew

Might get somewhere, might not:
But I would not hesitate to call Kennedy and see if someone could steer me in the right direction. Make sure they understand you _are_ going to acquire 3 plugs, and that it will be for a charity. Maybe they can tell you of a local buyer in your area who maintains/services them?

I think I have seen used plugs behind the fence in the (Kennedy) yard, but that was a few years ago. I used to moonlight in a buddy's shop rebuilding port tools for them. Another (late) neighbor of mine got a used plug for beside his mailbox, but I don't know what his "in" was and he's gone this past year.

Fire Hydrants | Kennedy Valve, Elmira NY

Beyond that, I'd call some big municipality and ask how they dispose of them. You will probably have to de-lead paint them if for kids.

smt

I would also try with the local Sprinkler Fitters Union, or with the local Fire Protection Businesses. They install yard hydrants as both new and replacements for Industrial facilities and such. If they do not have any in stock in a yard they would know where to get them. If this has the possibility of being tax deductable, it may help in finding them.

In the older movies us Brits are always seeing American fire hydrants being broken by cars;).......... do I have to draw pictures:D

Limy,

I'm sure glad you lived on that side of the pond during the recent runup in scrap iron prices, when thieves were making off with man-hole covers. Whole swaths of our cities would be suffering from Limy-induced hydrant shortages!

On the other hand, obtaining samples of fire hydrants would likely involve some pretty severe bumper damage. "Hey, dude, mind if I borrow your truck?".

J

I've got them

What do you want, Metropolitan or Kennedy? We install many hydrants each year and have several dozen in various states of completeness(?word) in our yard we use as spare parts. If you are just looking for the above ground portion, above breakaway, let me know, I'll get you a good deal.

FWIW, they are typically sold as a unit from the auxiliary valve to shoe to hydrant and cost about $ 2300 new regardless of the manufacturer unless it's some special unit.

PM me if you are interested.

Paul

Fire Plug Cap Colors

I bought a dead "real" fire plug to put in the dog pen (we've three of the critters).

I had it sand blasted and then prime/painted by a local firm - $75.00. Your results may vary. Because the plug was old, the underlying paint contained lead so the waste from the blasting required special disposal.

One thing to consider. In the U.S. various fire departments are trying to standardize informing responders about how much water pressure is available at any specific fire plug. They are doing this by having the "caps" (very top, plus each removable "connect-the-hose-here" cap) in various colors depending on the pressure at that location.

As you indicate that you do not need the underlying pipe, may I suggest you insure that the caps are painted Black (or whatever color your local fire department uses to indicate a "dead" fire plug.

What you do not want is to have the plugs installed, then at 2:00 AM some emergency response gets delayed while the responders figure out your plugs are dead.

Although I've not run into in Max Meadows I am informed some communities prohibit exterior display of dead fire plugs regardless of the color of the caps. Less confusion for responders. If your intent was to have these outside in a playground, you may wish to check with local authorities on their rules before spending any hard earned dollars.

Stan Db

He would need an older car from one of those movies too. I'm not sure a newer one would handle a smash-and-grab in this instance.

Friends wife backed into one with a Grand Marquis, snapped it clean off, barely scratched the paint & what damage there was to the car was taken care of with Scratch-X....

In the older movies us Brits are always seeing American fire hydrants being broken by cars;).......... do I have to draw pictures:D

We do that all the time; side effect of driving on the correct side of the road
laughingdrunk.gif

I used to drive a Japanese issue Toy Corona (Corolla elsewhere), right hand drive, in the Philippines where they drive-hand on the right side of the road. That was a wild ride, especially over there where there is only one law: Largest mass = Right of Way. Anyone who's been there remembers the Rabbit liners! Unless the Rabbit liner won :rolleyes5:

Back